Pre Op Diet - HELP

healthy-rickfan1971
on 4/1/15 8:26 am

Pre op diet is no fun, believe me I know. But when you do it exactly the way the doctors office says to you show them you are really serious about your commitment. You prove to yourself that you will do anything the doctor says to so that you can get rid of weight and feel as good as you possibly can. You show yourself you see you are worth the minor problems that the pre op causes you. You do not want the doctor to start the surgery and not be able to do it because the liver is still too fatty or other problems that the pre op is designed for. It IS hard to do, but you are worth giving it your all to get through this time to achieve your health on the other side of this rough patch. It is possible to do the pre op exactly the way the doctor office says to. I did, and I was working in a pizza joint during that time. The smells of food for 10 hours a day some shifts. I was worried if I gave into my short term want for stuff not on my full liquid pre op diet, that the doctor would not do the surgery. And I knew if I messed up my 1 chance to get it done, it would be fully my own fault. And I would like not live another 10 years. So yes the pre op diet is hard, but using my own fear that if I messed it up for myself by cheating, it most likely would cost me an early grave. And I wanted to stay alive to see my children grow up and have kids of their own. Stick with your resolve to find your health. Know you are worth it. You are stronger than you think you are. And know that you are not alone, we have all had rough spots. And if you can find your strength to get through 1 at a time, you will amaze even yourself.

newmein2015
on 4/1/15 8:42 am
RNY on 04/06/15

Thanks all! This was unbelievably helpful! Greatly appreciated.

Rhie P.
on 4/2/15 5:43 am

I was on liquids only for only 24 hours pre-op and then clear liquids 12 hours before....my 2 week pre-op diet I had to lose 10lbs (I already lost 15 leading up to that point).....I used a lot of fat blockers (send me a PM if you want specifics) and I a product called Greens that I would sip on when I felt the urge to snack.

I'm 5 years out and still use my Greens on a daily basic....I take it as a dietary supplement, but I noticed it also works to suppress my cravings (I'm a grazer).

I noticed my pre-op diet sent me into a weird panic I'm never going to eat again mode...and that isn't the case!!

Rhie

Gwen M.
on 4/2/15 7:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The first 3-5 days are the worst.  Stay strong and stick with it if you want surgery. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/2/15 8:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Hunger is NOT an emergency.

Now is a good time to start dealing with your relationships surrounding food.  

Stay the course.  You're not the only one who's had to do this.  You will survive.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat