Please say it eventually goes away!!!!! HELP

Peppermint73
on 4/13/15 11:27 am - Canada

Hi Everyone. I need help!

It happened again today at dinner. I had squash soup (which I have had multiple times) with soft boiled carrots in it and It got stuck. I threw up a little bit of it. But after that I could eat a piece of rye toast with cream cheese and that went down fine and stayed. I don’t know what is going on? The pureed diet does well with me (except beef stuff ie; chilli) but when I try to have more of the soft diet foods sometimes it gets stuck. Sometimes it makes me feel like something is wrong. I wait 30 min before and after to drink . I time myself now with a timer to make sure I’m not eating too fast (I set it for every 2-3 mins take a bite). What should I do? Am i over reacting? I am 5 weeks out and know I am still healing. Is this normal? Will this occasional stuck feeling ever go away for good and I can eat without that feeling? Should I call my NUT?

kokosuggs
on 4/13/15 11:42 am

I would always check with my NUT  but from my experience, I find there are just some foods that do this regardless...after a few times of trying the same food & its not going down good I would just stay away from it...

Good luck..hang in there  :)

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/13/15 11:49 am, edited 4/13/15 11:49 am

Raw carrots do me like that every time. It does not matter if i shred then, cut them, chew to mash... My pouch rejects raw carrots. 7 years post op. Cooked carrots. I can have 2 bites. But i can eat steak.  

Also - raw broccoli.-  no go... Some foods just get rejected... 

First 6 months - eggs were no go... It did not matter how they were made. . 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

nicupnorth
on 4/13/15 12:54 pm - Eagle river, WI

You may want to check with your doc, may be a stricture.

Kathyjs
on 4/13/15 10:13 pm

Can you have rye toast on puréed stage ? Are you putting cream in the soup? I dump from anything with cream in it

aesposito
on 4/13/15 10:33 pm

Happened to me all the time.  Ground beef and cabbage were two particularly unpleasant experiences.  Went away a few months in, but before that I was seriously questioning life.

BTW, why rye toast and carrots?  Both rather high in carbs this early out.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Peppermint73
on 4/14/15 6:51 am - Canada

Well at 5 weeks out I’m on the soft diet and I can have carrots extra soft boiled and bread toasted only. That’s why I chose the rye bread because it crisps nicely. The cream cheese is low fat. See right now I am having tuna and melba toast and it’s going down well. No issues. That’s why Im confused about this stuck feeling. It happens randomly with any food. One minute I’m eating tuna fine with crackers the next not.

aesposito
on 4/14/15 10:04 am

I understand they are on your nutritionists/surgeon's diet.  But I am just saying that toasting the bread and boiling the carrots does not reduce the carbohydrate content.  And I have to wonder about any nutritionist or dietician who would tell you to eat crackers and melba toast this early as well. 

Low fat doesn't help either.  The food manufacturers add sugar and fillers to make up for the lower fat. 

Sorry, but I call them as I see them... and I have nearly 200 pounds of maintained weight loss to back up my opinion.

But in any case, as for the stuck feeling, it will happen for a time, then eventually it will stop.  If it doesn't, get checked out for a stricture, but those are usually more serious and less random.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/14/15 10:09 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I completely agree with your sentiments.  I will never ever understand why any nutritionist/dietician would recommend crackers, toast and carrots in our precious honeymoon period.  I would have never have lost 186 lbs in 14 months if I had...

Also OP, the stuck feeling that happened every so often stopped at about the 4 month point for me.  It wasn't all the time -- just once in a while -- and I had the same fear.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Roma
on 4/16/15 6:49 am
RNY on 06/15/15

^^ Thanks for this. Very helpful for those of us who will soon be in the honeymoon period. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 68 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views