Fuel for long workouts

meganmcg
on 4/24/15 3:14 am

Hi all!

I have been doing all sorts of different types of exercise since my surgery last July. I really enjoy running and have completed a couple 5ks, and tomorrow I'm doing my first 10k. I'd like to start training for a half marathon soon, and then a marathon. I also am planning to do a 50 mile backpacking/hiking trip in June.

My question is, how do you fuel yourself for long workouts, such as long runs or hikes?

kellybelly333
on 4/24/15 5:30 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi there. Congrats on you accomplishments. I'll be running my third marathon on May 3rd, and then I will be getting into IronMan training.

I ran my first 10k distance at about 18 months post-op (not a race, just the distance). When I realized I could keep going, I started training for my first half marathon. I followed an online program, but was confused about fuelling. I talked to a few bariathletes (a term that was new to me) and they all said that it is trial and error. When you start getting into longer distances, you need more carbs to fuel, which is pretty much against the WLS standard. So the way I try to look at is the carbs you intake are for fuel only, and not a slippery slope to poor eating. 

Also, I worked up to adding carbs. It's much easier now (i'm four years out), but at this point it's also easier to gain. Which I do with each marathon I do. It comes back off after, but the carbs make me gain. 

Anyhow, I started out not really adding much more than fruit to anything under a one hour cardio workout. At not even a year out, I would say to have half a banana and almond butter 1/2 an hour before you workout. When you are starting to do more, consider gels. For a half marathon I would have three gels total. One before the race, and two during. I also had to work up to taking those, because of dumping and RH issues (which I have). The wrong gel can lead me to the washroom fast!

I also have a new love for NUUN tabs. They do have fizz when you drop them into water, but only sips at a time and not real carbonation like pop, so I'm not worried. They are like magic to me. 

On very long runs I will have 1/2 a bagel, to a full bagel (race day....full marathon) with almond butter. Again, I had to work up to that. Everyone is different, and it's hard to know what you will end up tolerating.

Good luck!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

meganmcg
on 4/24/15 5:35 am

Which gels ended up working for you? I know I dump too that's what lead me to the post. Thanks for all of your advice.. It's truly appreciated. Once I accomplish the half and full marathons I am going to look into the iron man.

kellybelly333
on 4/24/15 5:50 am - Toronto, Canada

I would definitely wait a few years before the IronMan. Even doing the half last year, at 3 years out, was tricky trying to get enough food in (it was very hot, and I lost a lot of salt and got dehydrated). Right now i'm slowly carb-loading, and my stomach is bloated by the end of the day. Not a great feeling, but necessary to run the pace I want to.

I use GU (Salted Caramel...mmmm). I started with half a gel at a time. i now down the whole thing, when i'm going fast enough. I am running to the bathroom when I've had Powerbar(Powergel) and Gatorade. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Gwen M.
on 4/24/15 12:02 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

When you say "three gels" is that three gel packs or three individual chewy things?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 159 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views