Soup

khunton
on 5/28/15 11:19 am

just wondering what the guidelines for eating soup was? How much is okay? Is it frowned upon or okay to have every once in a while? What kinds are better than the others? 

Corrie33
on 5/28/15 11:43 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I have two favs that I have only occasionally.  The first is one I started with in my soft foods stage... Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of chicken Soup - condensed.  I make it with Unsweetened Cashew Milk to keep it creamy.  It was a life saver in the early days and went down so smooooooth.  But my NUT said to back off on that a little after 6 weeks because I needed items with more protein.  I still have it once in a while, but with chopped chicken thigh meet added in and only 1/4 cup.  

I haven't had it in awhile, but I also like the fat free Progresso 99% FF Lentil soup.  It has more protein, but also more carbs and cals.  I have about 1/3 cup of this and it fills me up.

I've also bought Progresso Split Pea Soup (I think it's low fat?)... but haven't tried it yet as the cals seem a tad high to try just yet.  

Oh, and while we're asking - I see a lot of folks with Chick Peas in their daily menu's.  Don't know much about them... would love to hear.

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

karenp8
on 5/28/15 1:19 pm - Brighton, IL

Since we have no valve at the bottom of our pouch,the liquid part of soup will go right on through like water through a funnel. You will be left feeling hungry very quickly. It's the same idea as drinking with a meal. If I eat soup (rarely) I choose one with a lot of meat for the protein and drink the liquid part first. Then I eat the meat portion. A lot of bother and not nearly as filling as denser protein either.

healthy-rickfan1971
on 5/28/15 5:27 pm

I don't eat soup very often, other than the chicken noodle when coming back from a flu for a could of meals. The only other would be the only one I absolutely LOVE. It is a semi-homemade veggie/beef/barley (and the only way I can eat beef that is not ground beef) It has frozen mixed veggies, some potatoes, canned diced tomatoes, barley and the last few times I snuck quinoa in there too. seasonings including the usual salt and pepper, onion and garlic powders, dried chopped onions and dried minced garlic, season salt, and for a bit of a kick some Cajun seasoning. I do the 3 packs of stew meat in crockpot over night. We have a HUGE like army size cooking pot that I transfer the meat into and add the rest of the stuff at different times depending on how long they need for cooking. The family eats on that for 2-3 dinners and I divvy the rest up into freezer baggies for easy dinners other nights. Just pull the frozen baggie out and thaw in ho****er, and warm up. My daughter cannot eat it unless I also make a pan of cornbread. That started because I grew up visiting an elderly neighbor could and she made a soup very like this one, and ALWAYS had a plate of cornbread with it. So for me it stuc****il the bypass. I no longer eat cornbread. I have tried it a once about 6 months ago, 3 bites and Taz (pouch's name) does NOT like. I have a hard time with the soup because it is a slider food and WAY too easy to eat more than should eat. So I have to try HARD to stick with my doctors serving size, pre measure and be determined not to have more, no matter how dog on good it tastes.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/15 9:02 am - OH

Love your Dr Who adipose avatar...

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.