Regrets?

Stacy C.
on 6/22/15 5:05 pm

I have been pretty sick from pretty much everything and feel like I'm not loosing much weight. I keep wondering if it is worth it and I feel a lot of regret. Is that normal? Anyone else wish they hadn't had the surgery? I had my roux-en-y on May 26th. I don't mean to bring things down but I'm tired all the time I feel sick whenever I eat/drink.

Thanks for the feed back!

The Salty Hag
on 6/22/15 12:50 pm, edited 6/22/15 10:38 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Everyone heals differently, and if you've had some complications or trouble eating, it will seem like your own personal hell. I cussed myself out the day after, and the day after that too. Everyone also loses weight at different paces. If you are weighing daily, put the scale away and weigh once a week only. Also, take your measurements...you could be losing inches even if the scale doesn't reflect a loss. 

Make sure you tell your surgeon about feeling sick. Bring tired is normal up to a point. You're still very new, so you're bound to tire easily right now. 

It has absolutely been worth it for me and even though my gallbladder decided to be naughty and was taken out, I have no regrets. I am so much healthier and I feel amazing. 

It will get easier. 

Edited for typos.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Cooter N.
on 6/22/15 7:51 pm

I never regretted the surgery. I am 4 months out and still packing one of my surgical wounds. Even with that and hair loss, I feel alot better. It takes a few months to feel like you can eat a little more normal but I am fairly sure you should NOT be sick very often. That you better check with your doctor.

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

lynnc99
on 6/22/15 7:53 pm

Not an ounce of regret. 

But...that doesn't mean it's easy. 

You are still very "fresh" out of surgery and your body is healing. You ARE losing and you WILL lose - and of course, we all come through feeling as if we've had this big surgical procedure, and could the weight (please!) be gone YESTERDAY?????

Sadly, no.

The work lies ahead, but so do the rewards. They say patience is a virtue!

Ladytazz
on 6/22/15 8:33 pm

Yeah, you are right on schedule.  A lot of people regret having the surgery in the first month or so, when we seem to have all the problems and none of the benefits of WLS.

Do I regret it now?  Despite a lot of ups and downs, including a revision, I have to say no.  It has given me the only chance I have ever had of keeping off the weight and being a normal size.

I know I couldn't have done it without surgery.  I've lost weight dozens of times and regained it dozens more.

Never in my life did I ever imagine I could be the same size for nearly 4 years.

I have never been able to refrain from compulsive overeating for any length of time and now I am coming up on 5 years since I've eaten destructively.  I know that the surgery is the reason.

So in spite of some bumps in the road and the very occasional pity party that I can't pig out like I used to, I have to say that having WLS was a good decision for me.

Do I wish I never needed to have WLS? Of course, but given the hand I was dealt, and all the ways I have attempted to lose weight and keep it off, I am glad I have found something that helps me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MickeyDee
on 6/22/15 9:22 pm

You're very early out, so don't get a notion that you are failing anything.  

If you're feeling nauseated, up your water intake.  Dehydration can cause nausea.

If you're well hydrated, you might want to ask your doctor about using an OTC such as Prilosec.

Eggface
on 6/22/15 10:07 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I had a few weeks of WTH did I do to myself... but about 7 weeks or so it was like a light went on and life was better and better each day. I got a little system with food, water, felt stronger, started feeling less like a patient... it just got better and better (month 4-6 a little typical hair loss sucked but it ended and grew back) so the sick whenever you eat or drink is not the norm...

If you are chewing thoroughly and being mindful when you eat and still feeling sick at each meal talk to your Dr. ulcers, strictures are easily resolved complications, medications or outpatient procedures can make a world of difference... so ask your Dr about checking for those. 

Tired is pretty normal... your body is just realizing it's not going to get the fuel it's used to and like a bear in winter it goes into a hibernation mode to conserve... it won't last.  Though... if you aren't getting in your food, water because you are actually getting sick that will effect your energy level for sure.

Hope you are feeling better than 100% soon!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Stacy C.
on 6/23/15 4:56 am

Thank you all for all the positive feed back, I truely appreciate it! I have been mostly happy with my decision but I have bad days too where I wonder if I made the right decision. It is also hard because so many people say that it is fun to watch the weight just fall off, yeah I don't feel like my weight is falling off. The weight loss is much slower than I thought it would be. I know everyone is different and I just have to be patient and I'm doing my best with all of it. It helps so much to see all of the good results and to hear that it does suck at time for others, I feel less alone. So once again thank you all for taking the time to share with me!

Sarah M.
on 6/23/15 6:49 am

I was not even 24 hrs out of surgery and I looked at my mom and told her I changed my mind I didn't want it. I was in more pain that I expected and was really slow coming completely out of the anesthesia. Luckily it was too late! I agree it helps to hear that other people struggle and that this is not always rainbows and unicorns. But definitely worth it!

HW 320 RNY 4/13/15 Dr Kevin Tymitz GW 190

kaniky
on 6/23/15 8:45 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I'm sorry you're struggling.  I posted something very similar last week.  I had my surgery on May 18th.  I actually gained 3 pounds in a week.  I was completely beside myself.  I knew I was doing everything I was supposed to.  I saw my nutritionist and she told me to keep after it.  The three I had gained plus an extra pound came off just a couple of days later.  I have a hard time with the vitamins because they are so sweet.  But I've been told that at 8 weeks out I can start on a regular daily vitamin.  I'm still working on being tired so much of the time, but as these wonderful ladies remind me, it's a process.  It's going to be slower for some of us but we will get there!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

Recent Topics