Lesson Learned-TMI

auntmimi
on 7/17/15 10:04 am

Sunday was my youngest daughters 6th Birthday. She wanted a MyLife Doll and to go as a family out to eat. I guess I hadn't realized how much my children missed that part of our life. Before surgery we would go to our favorite Chinese Buffet every chance we got (at least 3 times a month). I tried to convince her that we could go on a picnic, or go to our local Mexican Cafe (where we normally eat out at, if we do get to go out). Nope! She wanted Chinese.

So we go to eat there. Its the typical greasy, overly sauced, MSG filled Chinese Buffet that you find in Kansas. Its the stuff at one time I felt like I couldnt live with out. Its been over a year since I have had anything so processed. Needless to say I had the insides of a crab rangoon, 1/2 of inside of a small pork eggroll, 3 garlic green beans and 1 bite of chicken. Within minutes I could tell something wasn't "right". I know what it feels like when my body "dumps" ( as I seem to dump on anything with more than 6 grams of sugar) and this wasn't it. As I was rushing to the ladies room I couldnt decide which end was going to evacuate first. LAWD, I thought I was going to DIE!!! After what seemed like forever I made my way back to the table. When we left the whole way home (45 mins) I thought "Lord, please dont let me poop in my new car". This whole week my stomach has been horrible! I have gone back to just drinking my shakes and having some yogurt and then having some protein in the evening when I am home. I was thinking that would help. Nope, still nauseated like crazy. I think this was a good lesson for me cause I often worry that old habits will find their way back into my life. Chinese Buffet will NOT be one of the old habits! Its amazing how eating clean and then NOT can really affect a persons system!! 

lynnc99
on 7/17/15 10:45 am

Chinese food is very hard post op - I avoid it completely. Why? Well those sauces are part of the problem, but in general you never quite know what's in it, even if you try to be SO careful. MSG, high sodium content, and...well, who knows!

So sorry you experienced this in public - I can well imagine! (I once nearly passed out in a 7-11 store about a half hour after eating some cereal with milk. I call that one a dumping episode but still not 110% sure. It barely matters!)

lynnc99
on 7/17/15 10:45 am

Maybe your daughter can do Chinese as a Daddy/Daughter Date night in the future!

auntmimi
on 7/17/15 10:48 am

I def. learned my lesson. I literally stood in the center of the buffet and in my mind I was going over what would be the "better" choices. I guess NONE would of been the best choice! I will steer clear FOREVER! Its the same with protein bars. I dumped on one of them really hard and cannot make myself eat one or even touch since! 

My other WLS friends say Im lucky......its all about perception 

lynnc99
on 7/17/15 10:55 am

Protein bars are a danger zone for a million reasons IMO. Some have more calories and sugars than a snickers! Others are so loaded with sugar alcohols that I might as well go curl up on the bathroom floor the minute I buy the darn thing. And then - if I get a few - they can truly be a trigger for me to over eat. 

peachpie
on 7/17/15 12:36 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Ugg-- I'm sorry this happened! your the second post I've seen where someone had a 'volcanic' experience after eating Chinese. I will absolutely be staying away from Chinese. Good thing I hate buffets-- food always seem sub-par at best!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

NYMom222
on 7/17/15 1:48 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

That stinks... I have eaten Chinese but never at a buffet. At least if I am ordering I can make some requests. I have had good luck with chicken chow mein and chicken or beef with broccolli and garlic sauce. Not the most exciting choices but it works for me....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Corrie33
on 7/17/15 2:06 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

This was a great read for me... I think I'm going to be just like you.  My pouch is extremely sensitive at 5 months out, and I had similar situations the only two times I went out to eat.  Even though I was able to choose easy things (steamed mahi mahi at one restaurant, and 1 oz grilled chicken with 1 tsp Quinua salad at a BBQ)... I was unable to keep it down.  But at least it didn't happen until I got home, and I was able to still enjoy the restaurant and BBQ with friends experience (and that's all that matters any more).  My how things have changed in our lives, eh?

Tough lesson to learn, sorry it was hard for you, but I totally get it.

PS:  I did try some Chinese Egg Flower Soup to-go once - I was happily surprised it went down so easily.  If this comes up again, you might give that a try.  It's just like chicken broth with eggs.

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

ShebasMom
on 7/17/15 5:25 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I get steamed veggies and grill chicken teriyaki (go light with sauce) or green beans with chicken and haven't had an issue. I guess I'm lucky. 

MickeyDee
on 7/17/15 7:01 pm

Thai food has been good to me;  doesn't seem to be so heavy on MSG or oil.  

I like the Chicken or Beef Satay, Grilled Vegetables with peanut sauce, Coconut Curry Shrimp.

New life=new eating style.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 34 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views