Extreme dieters preop RNY please chime in

kerbear1969
on 7/21/15 3:58 am - MD

Im an extreme dieter so much so that I think diets stopped working for me.  Did the RNY work for you? I fear Im hardly doing anything now with the preop diet drinking 4 shakes per day maybe a cup of coffee (decaf) with skim milk and have only lost a couple of pounds, the scale goes up and down pretty much the same.  Im so nervous even having surgery and hardly eating anything I won't lose, I think my metabolism is broke. 

Daisydoo02
on 7/21/15 5:00 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Kerri,

I did every diet, every diet pill, every fad going pre surgery, they all worked short term and then I put all the weight back on and then some. RNY was my last hope and it has been glorious! I have lost just over 130 lbs and I am so healthy and happy.  You will lose, that's a given, its just being able to work on your head/emotions around food.  The surgery changes our insides so weight loss happens.  Good luck, its typical to be so nervous pre surgery, we all were!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

SkinnyScientist
on 7/21/15 5:11 am

Yep. I have PCOS and was an extreme dieter, having been on one continuously since puberty.

Unless I did REALLY crazy stuff preop (like eat an apple + ONE beer a day + limitless coffee = total food intake for the day and run 4 miles a day) in grad school I wouldnt lose weight. But then I would get lightheaded and faint and my stomache always hurt with hunger.

Guess what?  I had the RNY surgery and stuck to the surgeons plan of recommended volume of foods and ate the recommended volumes. I LOST WEIGHT SUCCESSFULLY FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN MY LIFE!  Like it REALLY HAPPENED FOR ME!

I dont see why it wouldnt really happen for you either.

Did I have to eat protein forward-yes

Did i have to stay out of crap food-yes

Did I pretty  much have to ignore high GL/high GI food-yes.

Did I have to exercise hard as soon as I could-yes

Did I have to walk when I couldnt exercise hard (i.e. 1-4 months post op)-yes.

Did I have to watch food volume and ask myself "What is this meal/food doing for my body?"; if it wasnt nutritionally dense it wasnt going in-yes.

So follow the plan and do what you are supposed to do and dont break the rules and there is no reason why you shouldnt have great results unless you got some hormonal thing like Cushings...  But I have even read a few articles about those with Cushings losing weight with RNY

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 7/21/15 5:13 am

Oh PS. I didnt lose a thing on my 3 day pre-op diet of clear liquids and jello.  It scared the crap out of me, made me feel hopeless, but also confirmed that I HAD NO OTHER OPTION than RNY.  LIke if one cant lose weight on jello and water...what the hell is left?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Deedles
on 7/21/15 6:02 am - Highlands, TX

I think most all of us have been extreme dieters. We didn't get to the point of having surgery easily. As Skinny said...physically you WILL lose weight, how can you not? It's the mental part you have to work on the hardest. First is you'll never diet again. This surgery is a life change, not a diet. With a diet there's a start and finish. With a lifestyle change there is no end, just a different way to live. I don't want to rain on your parade but if you aren't willing to change your life 180º you'll never be happy with your results. Once you lose your weight, there's no going back to old habits, old favorite foods, old food rewards, etc. But the good news is you'll make new habits, get new favorite foods and find new ways to reward yourself. I promise! You'll get your life back and you won't want to go back.

After you get to the maintenance phase....which is the scary part for us all...will there be bumps in the road? Of course there will! That's just life itself. But along the way you'll have learned some good habits, know more about yourself and be able to get back on track.

You're stronger than you think you are!!! You CAN do this! We're here for you and we understand your doubts and fears because we've been there.

Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

Grim_Traveller
on 7/21/15 6:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Weigh and log your food. Every bite. Record every calorie. If you are really honest about it, dropping calories will drop weight. It has to.

Most of us ate a lot more than we thought. We have no realistic idea of what a proper portion size is. That's why weighing portions on a kitchen scale works, and eyeballing doesn't.

Everyone thinks they had a broken metabolism, or slow metabolism, or they're big-boned, or large-framed. None of it is true. We just ate too much. The surgery helps you eat less, but taking responsibility for how much we eat, and controlling how much we put in our mouths, is the biggest change that has to happen after surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 68 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views