4th week post-op -- nothing tastes good to me!

Caseyre
on 8/7/15 9:38 am

im not sure what to do -- I don't like yogurt or cottage cheese; smoothies were ok last week, but now it's all too sweet; and I have forced different foods down, but can't go back to them again. 

Im lucky to have only had one thing that actually made me sick -- PB & banana smoothie. I've pureed soups, ate scrambled egg, egg salad, pureed beans. . . But I feel so nauseated when I go back to eat it again (as in for another meal). 

Its a a tough one -- but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. 

Thanks!! 

Felicity Q.
on 8/7/15 11:16 am
DS on 09/28/15

Hmm. Sounds like you're still on pureed foods - here are some ideas to try!  

They might be too sweet, but what about Unsweetened Applesauce or SF Pudding?

Try Mashed Potatoes or a hot cereal like oatmeal or grits with a scoop of unflavored protein powder.

If you're really looking for something with good amounts of protein, try pureeing tuna with some low-fat mayo.

Just some ideas - hopefully you find something you like soon!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Caseyre
on 8/7/15 11:39 am

Yes, I am on pureed and my palate seems overly sensitive! I will try your suggestions -- thanks! 

Is is there an unflavored protein powder you like?

Felicity Q.
on 8/7/15 2:20 pm
DS on 09/28/15

I like the Syntrax Nectar Medical Unflavored. So far I have put it in egg drop soup and with SF Jello and milk to make fudgesicles. Apparently it does have a taste, but I haven't tasted it yet!  I really like it, and I will definitely be using it frequently during my clear liquids and puree phase. :)

Also, add it as late as possible if you're adding it to warm food. You don't want to cook it!

RNY0615
on 8/7/15 4:08 pm

I'm 5.5 weeks out and having the same exact problem!  It's horrible!  I'm not on puree anymore,  just chew chew chew.  I've been trying to figure it out,  and I think it's the over chewing!  (For you,  the blending/pureeing) I think it brings out different flavors,  particularly in meat or meat based things,  and personally,  I'm not a fan.  And once I get a bad taste in my mouth (or even just in my head) I psych myself out and don't want to eat it again.  I tolerate chicken fine,  and I love chicken!  But I haven't been able to bring myself to eat any in over a week because of this!  Same with chili,  ground beef patty, carb master milk,  etc. It's an awful problem because it has made me HATE eating anything and I'm struggling to get nutrients in.  

Unlike you,  I do ok with Yoplait greek 100 (after trying and hating about 7 other greek yogurt brands and types), string cheese,  and peanuts.  They all have more carbs than i'd like and less protein than I'd like,  but at least I will eat them!  

I'm not sure about you,  but I think my problem is more in my head than anything else,  and I'm not sure how to fix it.  I try new things a lot,  and it either gives me an upset stomach followed by the runs,  or I just don't like it.  Day by day. ... 

Good luck to you! 

Caseyre
on 8/7/15 6:18 pm

Thanks for the reply! It feels better just having somone who is going through the same thing -- makes me feel less like it's just me! I think it's interesting what you said about how taste can change with the over-processing. 

I think I have a couple of yoplait greek 100 -- the new greek whips were good for a minute :) but they taste too sweet. 

I haven't tried chicken yet -- I won't puree meat. I'd rather wait until my doctor moves me past pureed. But had some cod today and it was OK (but then I ate a bit too much and felt sick! I think I'll try that again. It is the best protein. 

I'm trying some different things with the unflavored protein. I have isopure, but I still taste it. I might try the Nectar that a previous responder noted. Applesauce is next.

Another thing that has helped me is peppermint gum (sugarfree of course). I usually chew some after I eat (to distract me from wanting to drink something!). The mint seems to calm my stomach, too, when it's upset. 

Yes -- one day at a time is the best way. 

Good luck to you, too! Thanks again for responding. It does make me feel better! 

RNY0615
on 8/7/15 11:42 am, edited 8/7/15 11:42 am

Yes,  I meant to thank you for posting! I read the forums here daily for support and haven't wanted to say anything because I know I'm not getting enough food in and need to get over it.  I thought it was just me being picky!  It's great to know I'm not alone.  :)  as for sweet stuff,  I agree completely! I was never a big sweets person.  I could always easily turn down cookies,  cake,  ice cream, etc... my weakness and the reason I let myself get so big was salty/fried stuff.  A lot of the foods or flavors we have available post op are for sweet things,  and those things are just not appealing to me in the least!  

We'll get through it.  I hear most of these appetite and diet issues in the beginning change and work themselves out.  

NYMom222
on 8/7/15 9:13 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

When I was 5-6 weeks out I remember feeling like I was going to throw up if I had to drink another protein shake. Reality is there are many out there. My savior at that time was coffee flavored click or Fit Frappe. Your tastes will constantly change, after a month or so I was able to go back to other protein drinks. As far as food tasting good, food didn't actually start to taste good until 6 months out. You just for the time being have to keep trying new things and make yourself eat it...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Caseyre
on 8/8/15 5:01 am

Thanks for your reply -- I will keep experimenting. :)

Felicity Q.
on 8/8/15 4:37 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Let us know if you find something that's working for you!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 229 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?