Toning your excess after weight loss

twarne
on 8/16/15 4:01 pm - Highland Grove, Ontario, Canada

Hi there. I had my Surgery February 2, 2015. 7 months and 14 days. Since then I have lost 120 lbs. No that is not a miss print. My Question to all of you RNYers is what are the best ways to tighten up where the excess skin has accumulated?  Like the thighs, belly, and arms. I would be greatfull for any suggetions.

Ticker 89109

lynnc99
on 8/16/15 4:06 pm

Skin tone (and amount of sagging skin) depends on couple of things....

Genetics, which you can do nothing about. 

The severity of your obesity. Obesity damages our bodies. It wears down our knee cartilage (in my case) and it stretches our skin, pretty much irreversibly. So the damage to our skin tone can be pretty permanent. And we see it as the sagging stuff. 

The tone of muscles underneath can, indeed, help things look better. I did a lot of whole body workouts - hard workouts in the water, aerobics and body pump classes, and more. Because of that, I think, my butt and legs are pretty much ok. The belly, however, is my souvenir. I have opted out as far as a tummy tuck goes, for my own set of reasons - 

But in the end, you may decide the tummy tuck is for you. (Save your pennies!)

MyLady Heidi
on 8/17/15 1:38 am

If you have deflated stretch mark covered skin plastics is your only hope, that was me.  Otherwise if your skin is in good shape and is snapping back try working out and see if it helps, it's good for you even if it does not actually fix your skin.  

SkinnyScientist
on 8/17/15 7:26 am

Well, I exercised as soon as I could.

You need to resistance (i.e. weight training, think free weights, cable machine and/or body pump) for your best weight work out. You can use the stationary machines but they "help you out" a lot. Better to pick something that "fights you" going up and down (i.e. cable machine...and other exerises listed).

You are also going to need to stetch. Those muscles will get tight as you lift.  Therefore consider barre class and/or yoga 3 times a week.

Does this mean I got to the gym two times per day or do TWO Things per day (yep...on a lot of days).  Today was barre (for the stengthening and lengthening and tonight I will skate for the strenght and cardio). Tomorrow is body pump over lunch (resistance) and piloxing at dinner.  Wednesday is my easy "rest day" I do yoga. Thursday back to body pump and piloxing and friday is hill sprints and skating in excess of 4 hours (synchro stops and starts. stops and starts..so it is not a continuous 2 hours).

-Skinny

Welcome to your new life and in 3 months you are going to love your body and what it can do.  I recommend writing down what you think is difficult NOW at the beginning. IN three months you may very likely find that these earlier "challeges" turn into your WARM UP.

I am not joking. I have found it was true for me!  It didnt happen overnight but it DID happen over time.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/17/15 8:27 am

There is no way to tighten stretched skin. Toned muscles willperhaps help saggy skin drape a little better.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views