Does anyone have the problem of just not feeling full?

kaniky
on 8/26/15 7:51 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I am following the diet my doctor gave me.  I'm mainly eating protein dense foods first and foremost.  I stop at the amount that I am supposed to, but I am still hungry.  I've been honestly tracking whether I think it is head hunger or true hunger.  I am HUNGRY!!  I am three months out and am losing slowly.  I am a revision from lap band to gastric bypass and my surgeon has said that revisions generally lose more slowly.  I think I could deal with that if I wasn't hungry all the time.  I feel like I could have been hungry without the surgery and still have lost weight with the amount of calories I'm eating each day, which is around 800.  

Any words of wisdom?

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

ladygodiva1228
on 8/26/15 8:11 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On August 26, 2015 at 7:51 AM Pacific Time, kaniky wrote:

I am following the diet my doctor gave me.  I'm mainly eating protein dense foods first and foremost.  I stop at the amount that I am supposed to, but I am still hungry.  I've been honestly tracking whether I think it is head hunger or true hunger.  I am HUNGRY!!  I am three months out and am losing slowly.  I am a revision from lap band to gastric bypass and my surgeon has said that revisions generally lose more slowly.  I think I could deal with that if I wasn't hungry all the time.  I feel like I could have been hungry without the surgery and still have lost weight with the amount of calories I'm eating each day, which is around 800.  

Any words of wisdom?

Post what your typical day of eating is like that way some of the great vets on here can give you advice.

Are you taking a PPI?  As we all know acid can mimic hunger.

How is your water intake?  In just the last 2 weeks I have upped mine to 100oz a day and dropped 7lbs with no effort at all.  My protein is kept at or above 80grams a day. 

I to am a band to bypass revision, but I am one of the lucky ones who so far has not dealt with feeling hungry. 

I have to keep track of the time of day or I will forget to eat.  I am currently almost 7 months out with a lose so far of 70lbs.  My calories range between 700-800/850 a day.  I work hard to keep my carbs under 40 a day.  I have 3 meals and 2 snacks.  I do still have a protein shake in the morning as I get up at 4am and even before the revision my stomach did not like to have dense food in it before 9am. 

The journey is not easy and it is for life, but the rewards in the end are so worth it.

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/15 8:30 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I felt the same way. At first, it was getting to add meat that helped me finally feel full, but I still felt like I was starving on 600-800 calories a day. My nutritionist pointed to my metabolic study that showed an unusually high metabolism and told me I probably just needed to eat more. I felt much better going up to 800-1000 calories. I'm losing about 2 lbs a week now instead of 3, but I'll take it to not be ravenous all the time.

kaniky
on 8/26/15 1:36 am, edited 8/26/15 1:39 am
RNY on 05/18/15

My doctor asked that I eat real food versus protein shakes for breakfast.  He thinks that will keep me feeling full longer.  I have recently moved over from a shake to either scrambled egg, corned beef hash or oatmeal. 

Here is yesterday's menu:

B - 1 scrambled egg with cheese

L - 2 hard boiled eggs with light mayo and two pickles

D - Smoked bratwurst with cheese

S - Laughing Cow with 34 degree cracked pepper crackers

Water with protein

My totals were - 807 calories; 56 proteins; 20 carbs

I'm not always the best about getting my water in.  

ETA:  I am on Pantoprazole to prevent acid 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

M. P.
on 8/26/15 8:45 am
RNY on 03/07/17

I always feel the need to clarify that I have NOT had surgery yet, before I replay since I do not have experience being in your situation....

But my surgeon, nutritionist and a couple of folks here on this site have all expressed how important it is to get 1g protein per 10 calories. In your menu above you would want to aim for 80g protein for the 800 calories that you had. Carbs are digested faster, protein slower. I am wondering if you could find a way to increase your protein within the same amount of calories if that would help you feel less hungry?

Good luck on our journey and I hope you get to feeling happy and healthily full soon!

aesposito
on 8/26/15 10:02 am

Dump the oatmeal, especially if you are eating the oatmeal instead of a protein-forward breakfast.  

Crackers this early out are also a poor choice.

Light mayo also has sugar added to make up for lower fat.  Try full-fat mayo, full-fat cheese, etc.  Fat does not make you fat.  If fat made you fat, I would have weighed 90 pounds most of my life from all the low-fat diets I tried.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

ladygodiva1228
on 8/26/15 10:16 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On August 26, 2015 at 8:36 AM Pacific Time, kaniky wrote:

My doctor asked that I eat real food versus protein shakes for breakfast.  He thinks that will keep me feeling full longer.  I have recently moved over from a shake to either scrambled egg, corned beef hash or oatmeal. 

Here is yesterday's menu:

B - 1 scrambled egg with cheese

L - 2 hard boiled eggs with light mayo and two pickles

D - Smoked bratwurst with cheese

S - Laughing Cow with 34 degree cracked pepper crackers

Water with protein

My totals were - 807 calories; 56 proteins; 20 carbs

I'm not always the best about getting my water in.  

ETA:  I am on Pantoprazole to prevent acid 

Here are my suggestions just by looking at what you wrote. 

Even though our plans say oatmeal or cream of wheat they are carbs and do nothing for our weight loss.  I would ditch the oatmeal and crackers.  They are like Chinese food eat it and then your hungry an hour later.

Get that protein up to at least 80 a day.  I know easier said than done, but trust me you will feel full a heck of a lot longer and it is giving your body good fuel.  Work on getting tha****er up there also.  Those two things really make a big difference in how much weight you lose.

Be very careful with corned beef hash, bratwurst and other overly processed foods.  They have very high sodium which will make you retain water. 

Have you tried any chicken, seafood, pork or beef? 

I have found boneless skinless chicken thighs to be the easiest as they are moist when baked or grilled. 

Tenderloin steak is another easy food to eat usually done medium you want the middle to be red.

I love all types of sal****er fish and any white fish baked or grilled with what ever seasoning on it you like.

Pork is the only thing that I have been very cautious with.  I had a piece of pork shoulder and after one small bite I felt that was a enough.

Those are just some suggestions from what I have had.

One other thing great that you are on a PPI to prevent the acid, but know that sometimes some folks need to try a different one.  Just keep that in the back of your mind you just never know.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Maria27
on 8/26/15 10:28 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I've learned that most of the time that I feel hungry it's because I haven't been drinking enough water, so work on getting in more water. Also, your protein is a little low.

My advice is to replace some of your fats with healthy fats. You are getting plenty of fat. If you eat more, it will just make your calorie count go up. Besides eggs, cashews, almonds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds are all great sources of protein and healthy fats, and I find that they are very satisfying and filing. Do you ever eat chicken sausage instead of bratwurst? It would save you some calories.

Also greek yogurt is a great choice for breakfast or a snack. I hated yogurt most of my life, but now I eat it everyday. I love it with sugar free vanilla syrup and unsweetened coconut. Experiment with it unless you are lactose intolerant. 

One more thing, rotisserie chickens from the grocery store are my best friend. I use the leftovers for things like chicken salad, and I can get so many meals out of one chicken. I highly recommend them. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Karen R.
on 8/26/15 8:53 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I was never able to get to that "sweet spot" banders talk about; now with RNY soon, I fear I will have the same issue of not feeling full. I don't think my stomach has that ability lol.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

siberiancat
on 8/26/15 9:01 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I occasionally feel the desire to eat more.  Often I have to evaluate my meal - did I eat protein first, then veggies and sometimes fruit.  I try to eat "real" food, no fast food, processed food, etc.  I rate my hunger or fullness  and compare to other times I've eaten the same thing and did I feel the same way, then?  If, yes, then maybe I need to consider that in the future.

Often, I need to tell myself that I've eaten according to my plan.  I did not eat foods high in calories and low in nutrition.  I had 20 grams of protein and that is what my body needs.  I will eat again in ____ hours and I can wait until then.  Feeling hunger is not an emergency, I've  "fasted" before ( for blood tests, surgery & other procedures)  and lived through it.

Also, try to not drink after a meal for an hour.  I find that I lose that "satiety" feeling if I drink any sooner than that.

You are so early out - you will find this too will pass.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?