I tried to venture out a bit, but now realize that wasn't a good idea.

kaniky
on 9/18/15 7:10 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I always weigh in on Mondays.  As of this past Monday I was officially down 50 pounds.  Today was my month weigh in day (the 18th of each month).  I got a little arrogant and thought - I've got this.  So during this past week I had a low carb tortilla and twice had sweet potato fries.  I had gained two pounds.  I'm not happy about the weight gain, but I also realize there is a cause and effect that goes along with this.  I always stayed within my calories and carbs for the day, but I'm guessing that my body simply does not process carbs the way it used to.  

So, today I start back on it again with a new dedication to dense protein first and cutting out things like tortillas and sweet potato fries.  

Anyone else go through this?  Were you able to get back with the program pretty quickly and did the weight start coming off again?  I had a three week period where I lost 6 pounds and then the next two weeks were 3 pounds each.  I was expecting a plateau but certainly didn't want the gain. 

Thanks!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

Mary Gee
on 9/18/15 7:52 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hear this LOUD AND CLEAR:  Get away from the carbs.  I did exactly what you did, and it derailed me for months.  I have just gotten back on track by going cold turkey on the carbs.  My problems started when I made my first "low-carb pita bread" sandwich.  Believe me, you are headed for big trouble if you don't stop immediately.  I did not gain weight, but neither did I lose one ounce for several months.  I should have reached goal by now....instead, I still have 70 pounds to go.  Don't get arrogant -- You will REGRET IT.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

SkinnyScientist
on 9/19/15 3:20 pm

What is it about carbs and metabolism. I wish they would identify a marker that could sort us into groups...those that carbs are fine for AND those that do better on a ketogenic diet.

My diabetic husband, who had high cholestrol got off his diabetes AND cholestrol meds by eating a low/no carb diet with food that was cooked either in extra virgin olive oil or REAL BUTTER. Not that fake margarine stuff. 

Sometimes, I wonder if it is the foods or if it is us (i.e. a subpopulation of people ...like something genetic).

My baby sis eats potatos and or Mac and cheese every night. Skinny as a rail....

Me?  As big as a football player...needed surgery

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

yankeescl
on 9/18/15 8:48 am
RNY on 09/12/13

At two year out, I still keep track of what I eat on My Fitness Pal.  I don't indulge in carbs, as they were the main reason for my former weight of 282 pounds.  It is so difficult at times, but to me, surgery was such a serious and drastic decision.  I don't want to mess this up.  Best of luck and congratulations on making this life decision! 

Patm
on 9/18/15 10:02 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

As much as I agree abou****ching out for carbs a two lb gain can be water retention or just needing a good clean out. Follow your plan and you will do great

Ladytazz
on 9/18/15 10:03 am

I know you have heard this before and you will hear this again.  Right now is the time you will have the most weight loss.  By around 6 months out it slows down a lot.

You can still lose weight as long as you eat less than you burn but this is the maximum time.  Take advantage of it.  Not just for the weight loss but to learn and ingrain new habits.

Now is not the time to branch out.  There will be plenty of time to experiment after you reach goal but if you want to reach goal in the first place it is best to stick with the plan you were given.  And avoid carbs, at least refined carbs.

I kept my carbs under 100 the first year, actually tried to keep them under 50 but allowed myself some dairy carbs.  I aimed for 100 grams of protein a day.  Still do.  And 100 oz of fluids a day.  Those were my priorities and I found when I reached my 100 gram goal I rarely had room or desire for much else.

I also encourage you to use this period of weight loss to reflect on your eating issues and get help and support.  Rarely do we get the the operating table without some kind of dysfunctional relationship with food.  

You want to deal with the cause of your obesity while you are also working on the physical result of your eating.  Otherwise you will just have minimal weight loss and most likely regain.

I looked at it like an alcoholic getting a liver transplant.  That is all well and fine but if they continue to drink alcohol then they will just blew through that liver, too.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Lisa09
on 9/18/15 11:54 am - NH

great advice.  any thoughts on finding a therapist who understands WLS and all that entails?

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

Ladytazz
on 9/18/15 12:36 pm

I would check with your surgeon or bariatric center. 

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

sandygrl
on 9/21/15 6:01 pm
On September 18, 2015 at 11:54 AM Pacific Time, Lisa09 wrote:

great advice.  any thoughts on finding a therapist who understands WLS and all that entails?

My bariatric program had a therapist that they recommended.  She works with them quite a bit AND she's a registered dietitian. I've been seeing her for about 4 months and plan to continue after my surgery.

Sandy

White Dove
on 9/18/15 10:38 am - Warren, OH

I always show immediate gains when I start eating too many Carbs and those pounds do not come right back off for me.  I weigh daily and am always aware of any gain.  Please don't waste your honeymoon period.  You will never "have this".  I am just about eight years out and still have to be careful.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views