Eating

crystalhamley
on 11/7/15 6:03 pm

I'm almost 3months post op, I know it's supposed to take 45 minutes to eat a meal but for me it's only 10 to 15 minutes and I stop when I'm full. Should I be taking longer consuming meals? 

Maria27
on 11/7/15 6:34 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

No! I got the same terrible advice from my program, but better programs tell you to spend at least 10 minutes but no more than 30 minutes to eat a meal. The reason we should not spend more than 30 minutes to eat is because the food starts to move out of our pouch causing us to eat more and defeating the purpose of the restriction. If we eat too slow, we never get full. I have experienced this, and I felt like I could just keep eating all day. Definitely a scary feeling that I don't want to repeat ever. It seems like some surgeons tell us to take longer to eat so that we can get more protein in, but this is not the way to do it. It is better to supplement with protein shakes than learn how to eat around your surgery. You should be focused on learning effective lifetime habits, and eating around your surgery is not one of those habits. You will thank yourself further down the road if you ignore that terrible advice and keep doing what you are doing.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

catwoman7
on 11/7/15 9:23 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I was told to take 30 minutes or so.  I tried to do that during the first month or two post-surgery, but I don't anymore.  I think the point of this is to get people to slow down, which does make sense, but taking 30 or 45 minutes to eat seems kind of weird to me.  I'm guessing I usually take about the same amount of time as you - 10-15 minutes.  Although pre-surgery, I pretty much inhaled my meals, so 10-15 minutes is a huge improvement.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

crystalhamley
on 11/9/15 7:30 pm

Thanks for the input. I didn't think I was too far off! 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics