Reactive Hypoglycemia

Berryhoosier
on 12/11/15 7:07 am
RNY on 12/17/14

I had my one year check up yesterday.  I talked to my doctor and my dietitian about the hypoglycemia I have been dealing with.  Usually it doesn't start until 18 months in, but I developed it early.  When it got bad, I went to my regular doctor.  She told me 6 small meals with complex carbohydrate in each.  She actually used the words, "Peanut butter crackers."  I stopped losing weight, but I didn't gain.

Yesterday, my surgeon and dietitian gave me very different advice.  Four or 5 small meals, preferably four.  Yes, complex carbs, but in the form of non-starchy veggies and no more than 2 small fruit servings a day.  I had added in whole grains and sweet potatoes, which they told me was making the problem worse.

I'm writing this to say:  If you start having hypoglycemia, go see your bariatric team.  They know what will work for YOUR body post surgery.

I'm thankful I haven't gained.  And my surgeon said my surgery is successful because I've lost more than 50% of excess weight.  But he wants another 25-30 pounds off.  (And so do I).  Hopefully I'm now going to be able to control the blood sugars and get back to losing.

I know a lot of you have NEVER added back any carbs other than a bit of fruit and veggies.  I wish I hadn't either.  I got so much conflicting advice I wasn't sure what to do.  And let's face it, when your doctor says, "Eat more carbs," that's advice you WANT to follow.  So anyway, back to basics for me.  I hope when someone else has hypoglycemia, this post can help.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/11/15 9:13 am

There is a difference between hypoglycemia (H) and reactive hypoglycemia (RH).   I have both. 

You get reactive hypoglycemia app 1-2 hr after eating either carbs or lean proteins...  It was a huge surprise to me to get RH after eating lean protein only meal - i.e. 2 HB eggs,  or water based protein shake.. 

as I found out - the body releases insulin when we eat proteins. So if our body reserves of sugars are low - or we make too much insulin in response to any foods - our BS will drop... 

Hypoglycemia can be a result of either too high fasting insulin or .. adrenal issues.. - body needs cortisol to bring BS up - so if you don't make enough - you may crash. 

Since i deal with both...(yeay me !!!- sarcastic). I learned to manage that... To prevent RH - I eat moderate proteins and fats with some carbs at almost every meal. (non starchy carbs). To avoid middle of teh night hypoglycemia - I eat just before bed... typically high nuts like almonds, brazil, walnuts.. Not a lot - but a good serving. 

I Keep NSA (no sugar added) nut butter  by my bed, in my purse,and I used it often (no crackers) to bring my BS up. Sometimes as little as 2 tsp of PB will be enough to prevent low BS. 

I buy individually packed almond or PB (check health food store for Justin brand) That not only does not spoil - but it is really portable...

Nuts have a lot of calories... so make sure you use them as needed... but not too much...

Any alcohol make my BS issue really icky... I have to make sure I monitor taht very well. Alcohl block some enzymes - and even a small glass of wine may make me crash...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Pokemom
on 12/18/15 9:28 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Hi Hala,

It has been a few days since this OP and your response, but if you see this, I would appreciate more information on the RH.  Can you direct me to some good links that have helped you understand and manage it?  I was really happy to read your post, and to see that RH can be from lean protein as well as carbs.  I keep having what I would call mini crashes after eating even my protein meals.  I feel great when I don't eat, energy wise.  Then I eat, and even after lean proteins, I will sometimes feel overcome with sleepiness and fatigue, often about an hour or two after eating. I have noticed this a lot more in the past month or two (I am 11.5 months mos post-RNY).  I have chalked it up to lack of sleep, but it really seems more timed to my eating.

I was also at my doctor's office for a UTI the other day.  When they did the urine test, they said I had dumped a lot of glucose in the urine.  (Sorry if TMI words, but we are friends let friends say urine, right?)  I have never had diabetes or pre-diabetes, even pre-op.  They did a finger ***** test, and that was all normal.  But I was left wondering, why was my body dumping sugars in my urine, and what did that mean?  The doctor just said that some people do that, which I accepted at face value.  But then I started wondering.

xoxo

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/18/15 11:25 am

I would be happy to help you. It took me a while to understand what is going on.. that's why I try to stay on here to help others... I know how frustrated I was when I tried to be doing all the right things and still ended up with low blood sugars...

When we do low carbs - we deplete glycogen stores - in muscles and in the liver.  So when we try to eat just lean proteins - the body process that - and some proteins will cause more or less insulin release... if a meal does not have any carbs - i.e. lean water based whey protein shake, or egg whites, or scrambled eggs, etc - he body will use the proteins and the insulin will cause the BS to drop. 

now - there was tudy that show that post op RNY we could dump a lot of insulin - as much as 20x or a normal person in response to food - not even carbs only... that would make a person extra sleepy.. as far as I know the insulin storm , not just the carbs makes a person tired/sleepy after a meal.  And if your body does not have enough glycogen (stored sugar) the low blood sugar would follow... in a way -" darn you do - darn you don't... " very low carb diet.. 

Also - consuming too many proteins in any given time - without adding fat or carbs may cause imbalances. Our body learn to turn proteins into glucose... (a person can have high blood sugar on a very low carb diet - if the diet is very high in proteins. 

to balance that- a lot of people turn into keto style diet when they balance proteins with fat...Fat - doesn't cause insulin response...

i.e. ideal meal would be no more than 10-20 gr of proteins, with 20 + gr of fat and no more than 5-10 gr of carbs mostly from non starchy sources.. ( low sugar) 4 melas - 300 cal each... 15gr of protein average..per meal.. 

15 gr of proteins= 60 cal

5 gr of carbs= 20 cal

300-80=240 cal = 25 gr of fat.. 

4 meals =1200 cal.. 

if the past I tried to get more proteins and felt worse... now I add more fat and more "real food" (no more shakes unless I have a really bad day_)  But doing that improved my blood protein levels.. from 6.2 to over 7.. and my blood sugar is much better... adding some fat (i.e. 2 tsp of coconut ioil to my lean chicken) makes things better... 

protein insulin response

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&e spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=protein+insulin+response

http://thepaleodiet.com/whey-protein-and-its-effect-on-insul in/#.VnRUKflVhBc

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&e spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=whey+protein+insulin+study

http://thepaleodiet.com/paleo-diet-q-a-whey-protein/#.VnRUx_lVhBc

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/69.full

http://www.nutrientdataconf.org/pastconf/ndbc35/4-2_sampson. pdf

http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/11945/2/Bell_K J_thesis_2.pdf

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&e spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=food%20insulin%20index%20database

I can give you more... lol.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Utodc
on 5/24/20 10:23 am
RNY on 03/23/17

Thank you for continuing to share.

I having severe symptoms and this stuff is gold.