Psychiatric meds

Ereiam
on 1/2/16 7:40 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I would like to have RNY but am concerned about the meds I take for depression. I read that two meds I take are absorbed in the small intestines so would not be as effective. Anyone with experience in this area?

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/16 10:41 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I've been on fluoxetine in varying dosages since I was 15, and shortly after surgery, I started getting depressed and anxious again to a degree I hadn't felt since at least 2004, which scared the crap out of me. The NP at my surgeon's office had me switch from a capsule to tablet form since the absorption is supposed to be better without needing stomach acid to dissolve the capsule. She said if that didn't help, I could increase the dose to compensate for the lower absorption. I started feeling better about a week later, although I still don't know if it's the tablet form that helped or if I was just in some post-surgery funk that I eventually got over. I'm definitely no worse off than pre-op, though. In fact, my mood and coping skills are both at an all-time high, largely thanks to the counselor I've been seeing at the request of the psychologist who did my pre-op eval.

crazy4birds
on 1/2/16 11:51 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I take Lexapro and haven't noticed any change for the good or bad.

kg59
on 1/4/16 4:31 am

I've been on fluoxetine for quite a while.  At surgery I was switched to the liquid due to the absorption issue.  I, too, started to get very depressed when I was switched back to the capsules at 1 month post -op.  I was put back on the liquid for another month. I'm on the capsules again and have been fine since (4 months).  No adjustment in dosage and feel great!  It may take some trial and error but let your MD know immediately if you start having issues.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views