Severe lower right pelvic pain

coreysmom
on 1/18/16 9:35 pm - Indianapolis, IN

hello everyone.

I am 7 yrs post Rny.

Recently  I have began to have severe lower right pelvic pain that often times radiate to my lower back and down towards my inner thigh that is worse when passing gas and BM ( sorry TMI)   I have navel pain also.

I am concerned that this may be a blockage or twist in my bowel? My biggest concern because of the horror stories.

I do still have my appendix and gall bladder.

I have an appointment with gastric dr but it's 4 days away.

just wanted to see if anyone was experiencing these symptoms. And/or know a cause.

Thanks!

selhard
on 1/19/16 3:16 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Here are what bowel obstruction symptoms I had:  1) steady pain strong enough to know medical help was immediate 2) not able to get comfortable, think about, or do anything but concentrate on making it through medical tests 3) vomiting. I could not have waited four days to see a gastric doctor. 

coreysmom
on 1/19/16 3:21 am - Indianapolis, IN

Hi Selhard...would I be able to pass wind or have BM? What area is the pain or does it vary?

Was it found using a CT?

Thanks

selhard
on 1/19/16 5:07 am, edited 1/19/16 3:03 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I was able to have a small BM, probably bowel not contained in a hernia.  The obstruction was revealed by drinking a dye followed by a CT scan.  The hernia pain was in my lower left abdominal area, didn't radiate anywhere else, but did subside when laying in a hospital bed with IV pain meds, IV fluid, and rest for the night hours with surgery scheduled in the morning.  The surgeon was able to manually displace the small bowel without having to do a resection, fixed the hernia with mesh, fixed an old hernia by replacing the mesh, and took care of extensive adhesions.  He was a busy boy.  I ended up with eight lap holes, needing help sitting, standing, and laying down quite a bit longer than WLS.  Horror story?  Not at all; rather a success story.  I am still kickin'

aesposito
on 1/19/16 6:40 pm

Go to the ER.  Classic appendix pain starts at the navel and radiates down and to the right.  Pain with BM's is also common.  I am not kidding... I ruptured mine in November and ended up in the hospital for a week with a deadly case of peritonitis. 

Prove me wrong and over-worried and go... please.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/19/16 9:05 pm - OH

It is unlikely to be a bowel obstruction if the pain is down that low.  Because of the way the bowel is formed and situated down near the rectum, twisting is almost impossible.  It would also not be gallbladder down that low. The appendix is possible, as is an ovarian cyst if you still have your ovaries... As are a number of other things.

If the pain continues to be severe, or if you develop ANY other symptoms, go to the urgent care or ER, or even see your PCP and get a CT scan.  Do NOT wait 4 days to see your surgeon with continuous pain (especially since it is unlikely to be related to your RNY). Truly severe pain (what is "severe" to some people is only "moderate" to others, but if you are able to type posts on the Internet, it probably isn't truly "severe"), or even moderate pain that is continuous, is telling you that something is wrong and requires medical attention. The more severe the pain, the more immediate the medical attention needs to be.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.