Snow storm comfort food

DanaDenise
on 1/23/16 8:08 am

I'm 8 months out.  About a month ago I started to really miss food.  The holidays weren't too  bad.  Yesterday and today I'm feeling bummed during this snow storm that I won't be able to partake in the snow storm food fest.  No baking or blizzard binging with the neighbors.  Bean soup is on the stove, so that will provide some comfort!  How do others get themselves through these times?  What else do you do on days like these?

kaniky
on 1/23/16 8:17 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I just posted a thread about stress/comfort eating too. I'm going to keep my eyes on this thread for words of wisdom from those who have BTDT. Good luck! 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

obxhatteraslight
on 1/23/16 8:29 am - baldwinsville, NY

I have turkey meatballs in the freezer can always throw them in the crockpot. Everyone else can eat spaghetti either make zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.

Chili is comforting.....

IF you are having bean soup add some protein powder.

I am only 3 months out so I am not feeling tempted, that and my kids are at college.

Hope someone else has some insight.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/23/16 9:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The best thing to do is treat every day the same. Snow day, weekend, holiday, stress -- eat the same every day. Be a machine.

I make exceptions. Christmas. Big barbecue in the summer. But some people start making so many exceptions, it's too much. Happy Friday! is not an excuse to eat more.

Be a machine. That's the best plan.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

robinreinhardt
on 1/23/16 10:15 am

Dana,

I live in California so I'm not in the snow much. However there have been a lot of gloomy days so my Go to is hot coffee twice a day. Bean soup sounds great so enjoy. Good luck through the storms.

Robin

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/23/16 10:50 am, edited 1/23/16 5:02 am

I make WLS friendly comfort food like waffles, pancakes, and enjoy that. 

I use coconut flour mixed with some protein powder, add eggs, sweetener, bit of baking powder and have very nice either waffles, or pancakes. 

When stack at home - I can make more elaborate dinner - like london broil with some veggies. Or chicken dish than normally takes too long to make... Spicy Mexican chicken... 

Comfort food can be both healthy and super tasty... 

Add NSA cheesecake... And we are cool.. 

I take care of quality of food - my pouch tell me the qty I can eat. Avoiding slider food helps making sure I don't overeat. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 1/23/16 11:09 am - Warren, OH

I always go with Weight Loss Surgery friendly versions of comfort foods.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

peachpie
on 1/23/16 11:54 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm going through similar. I planned on making brownies for my son, but since he's been on Skype all day with huh is friends and isn't even thinking about it, I'm saving myself the temptation until he asks me to make them.

I'm more bummed I couldn't go running today. I will do an Indoor workout, between that and shoveling I should be fine with exercise.

I was successful with breakfast, snack and lunch. Dinner is chili and cornbread... I will indulge in the cornbread! 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/23/16 11:58 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I have had to teach myself that food isn't there to comfort me.  

Using food for emotional reasons led to my obesity.  Of course, I wouldn't eat bean soup (soup is a slider and beans are loaded with carbs, albeit fiber, too) -- and I don't consider a blizzard as a "food fest."

A good book I read about this is called Food: The Good Girl's Drug: How to Stop Using Food to Control Your Feelings

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

The Salty Hag
on 1/23/16 2:39 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Chicken soup...sans noodles for me. I made a big pot of it yesterday since I'm fighting a cold. Other than that, I've had to learn to keep myself busy so I don't get tempted to quell my cabin fever with food. Even at 2.5 years out, and especially being housebound at the moment, it's so easy to fall back into that pattern of turning to food for comfort. I've wanted to bake and cook up-and eat, haha- a storm today, but I've managed to avoid it.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
Recent Topics