Gained Weight....I need HELP Please Sunday Feburary 7,2016

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/8/16 5:08 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi, I see that you like to keep it real & that's what people are telling you as far as the 5 day pouch thing. I'm not sure what you meant by your earlier post of insiders & outsiders, it sounds like if people tell you what you want to hear, you're an insider & if its not, you're an outsider. Life doesn't work that way.

I believe what people are trying to emphasize is the diet mentality that the pouch test brings, rather than the lifestyle change after the test that needs to be embraced. You end up doing a yo yo diet. However I do believe that the pouch test is more of a mental reset, rather than a physical one. 

You couldn't pay me to go back to all liquids, besides you end up being hungry! Why go back to torturing yourself.   Starting from the 6th day really is the best way.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cpcampbell
on 2/9/16 12:07 am

It's only liquids for the first two days...after that it's protein...but I hear you...Whatever works for you. See, for me, it's always been the mental piece that kicks my ass....If I don't pick it up, I won't eat it......

Pokemom
on 2/9/16 2:14 pm, edited 2/9/16 1:24 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Hey, T H B!  I wanted to thank you for the phrase you used:  "diet mentality."  This really struck home for me in my current situation.  I am 13 mos past surgery, and still want to lose 17 pounds.

Anyhow, the reason I appreciate your comment is that I went for 4-6 weeks, around and after the holidays, where my weight really stalled.  I am certain this was partly to do with bad-habit-creep, but now my weight loss is moving quickly again, so I realize the stall was also likely a genuine stall as my body kind of adjusted. 

When I was feeling discouraged--both with the scale stall and with the awareness of my own eating battles, I kept finding myself fantasizing about some of the fads I did when I was MO.  I would think, "OK.  I will do this thing for 7 days [or 30 or whatever], and that will get me going again."  And similar stuff.  Those things did not make a long-term difference for me, though, back then.  And I realized I was having "diet thoughts." That I was having thoughts like I used to, and that these were not healthy, but I could not verbalize why.

I knew I just needed to stay the course, but the old me was creeping in with fears and hopes and all that stuff that I had sought refuge for in fads.  For me, the fads were often a way of lying to myself about my day-to-day problem habits.  This is perhaps why the long process of losing and keeping off the weight is a challenge--for me, anyway, as I am not speaking for anyone else--but to face my own weaknesses and really own them, whether my situation is "fair" or not--to be consistent on a daily basis--to really integrate new habits into life so they become my real nature--those are the challenges of a lifetime, whether in weight loss or any kind of character challenge.

Something about your comment just really struck a chord in me today--just what I needed to hear, and I thank you for that!

Grim_Traveller
on 2/9/16 2:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/9/16 3:51 pm, edited 2/9/16 7:53 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

T hit the nail on the head.  This "diet mentality" many of us have lived with for many years is destructive.  There is no easy fix.  Life post WLS is truly a boring proposition.  Eat dense protein, limit carbs, drink plenty of fluids, track or weigh your food.  But.  It.  Works.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

rocky513
on 2/9/16 3:52 pm, edited 2/9/16 7:53 am - WI

You get it!  We need to embrace a new way of life and change everything about the way we relate to food.  The 5 day pouch test is yet another diet that doesn't work.  Just eat the way we are supposed to eat after WLS.  Everyone is given the same guidelines.  Measure your portions, eat protein first, then non-starchy veggies if you have room, no sugar, limit fruit, and drink at least 64 ounces of fluid daily (but not while you are eating!)  Follow the rules... no problems. No need for a 5 day pouch test. No need to EVER think about dieting again.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/9/16 4:30 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Aww Gee Thanks! Actually it was 1 of the vets (Citizen Kim) that first brought up to me about the diet mentality of the 5 day pouch test cuz I couldn't figure out why people kept doing this to themselves. For me I'm tired of the merry go round.

I don't want to go back, I've been there, I know what it is about. My eyes are focused to the future. I can understand people need reminders, that they forget the past. I never want to forget, ever. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

seattledeb
on 2/8/16 8:37 pm, edited 2/8/16 12:36 pm

We got off topic with the 5 day pouch test. What I would want to know is what are you eating now? Do you drink with your meals? Do you exercise? Do you take all the required vitamins? Do you track your food? Do you have go to protein food to eat at home and while you are out?

It's so much more than 5 days. There are many bad habits that are easy to pick up. I am losing regain as well. Am I perfect every day? Never. There is always something.more water, less carbs. But for me it's trying to regain mindfulness and working on things everyday. I come here every day.

Bad news...you won't lose your weight quickly like the first time. We all only get one honeymoon. The good news is that it can be done.

If you have been eating a lot of carbs cutting them way back is really going to help and it's gonna be rough for a while. Our brains love carbs. I love carbs. Eating carbs makes me happy...instant absorption and yummy tastes. It's how I regained weight. My favorite was toast with tons of butter.

Anyway...good luck to you and I hope you will keep posting. There is no perfect way...just have to keep doing it every day.

Deb T.

p.s. anecdotal evidence- I have been here since 2008. I have seen thousands of 5 day pouch test posts yet I don't usually see those folks stick around. For many who try it, it seems to feed that I need to lose weight RIGHT NOW and when that doesn't happen people give up. You got a tool that can help you lose and keep off weight for the rest of your life. Lucky you!

cpcampbell
on 2/9/16 1:30 pm

Hey Seattledeb - I only used the 5-day pouch for a jump start, otherwise it is not a method I practice.

When I started my new way of life, I was wearing size 18/20 and stayed with the basics, protein, excercise, water, etc. and have been wearing size 2's. The quick 6 pounds not only was great but the structure in such period of time helped tremendously. I've never had a regain until now. I picked up 20 lbs

I'm  so surprised that several people got in such a tizzy about my choices.....but on another note, I've been here since 2008 as well, I don't always post but at times I do.  The RNYer's is my regular and a few other forums on this site.

seattledeb
on 2/9/16 3:34 pm

I do not believe they "got in a tizzy" as you say. Conventional wisdom shows that the 5 day pouch test does not help. I'm glad it did for you. My sense is that it helps people get off carbs. To me it creates a diet mentality of deprivation and hunger. That does not work for me. I'm glad it did for you. You are the first I've heard of..so congrats.

Deb

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 489 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 317 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 162 views