Suggestions? New to forum

AdamBSessions
on 2/10/16 3:55 am
RNY on 09/29/15

So, I had RNY on 9/29/15.  Pre-Op I weighed 450.2 lbs (5' 11" male 39 y/o).  I feel like I made tremendous progress for the first 3 - 3 1/2 months but lately it seems like I've stalled out on my weight loss approximately 1/2 way to my goal weight.  By BMI standard I am supposed to get down to 179lbs but Nurse & dr both say if I can get to 225lbs it'll be a huge success and I'll be much healthier.  Today (2/10/16) I'm weighing in at 338.8lbs and I've been bouncing between 337 and 343 over the last 2 weeks.  Last official weigh-in at Dr office was 352 on 1/4/16.  Am I just imagining things?  Any suggestions?  I typically get between 50-75 grams protein/day and around 700-1000 calories.  I work out Monday - Friday 28 minutes on the bike (about 6 miles) and alternate light weight lifting upper body MWF & legs TT.  Any ideas, suggestions, helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/10/16 6:27 am

Your body is adjusting.  Keep plugging along.  

My doc recommended min 80 gr of proteins per day for guys... For women, the number was 60.. You may try to increase some proteins... In divided dosages through the day.. Keep the calories.. Don't increase.. Just change some carbs for more proteins.. 

Go have some clean fun... Relax.. Stressing over not losing may make you stall.. Go watch a comedy.. Laugh a lot.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 2/10/16 7:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Are you weighing and logging your food, every single bite? If not, it's the best thing you can do.

That's not a lot of protein for the amount of calories you are eating. When I was eating 900 to 1,000 calories, my protein was 160 to 180. Cutting back on the carbs will help you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 7:25 am, edited 2/9/16 11:24 pm - CA

It is not uncommon for us to stall or plateau in our weight loss.  What worked for me, during those times when the scale would not move and I knew I was eating according to my post op guidelines, (I continued doing everything the same way) and started taking measurements. What I found was that while the scale wasn't moving, I was still losing inches, all over.  

If you are eating protein first and getting your fluids in, cutting the carbs and sugar, you should be good and will start losing again.  Don't stress too much over plateaus, they are common.

Good luck!

Nik 

White Dove
on 2/10/16 8:21 am - Warren, OH

For your size, weight and activity level you need a lot more protein.  I am a 136 pound female and still eat over 100 grams of protein a day.  For me the weight loss secret is to not eat bread, rice, potatoes, cookies, ice cream, cereal, pasta, flour, sugar or other carbs.  I eat very well on filet, lobster, shrimp, ground beef, ham, pork, turkey, chicken, cheeses, eggs and fish. 

This next year is your honeymoon phase of RNY.  Don't waste it.  You can definitely obtain your goal of 179.  The doctors will be happy with 225 but you do not have to be.  Get a food scale and weigh everything.  Plan your meals and do most of the grocery shopping in the meat and seafood department.  Track everything and get your protein much higher.  Your want your new body to have plenty of lean muscle.  Putting in lots of protein in will give your body what it needs to build a strong and lean new person.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

chulbert
on 2/10/16 9:05 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Assuming your numbers are accurate, your calorie deficit is still enormous and this is just an ordinary stall.  Most people lose weight in a stair step fashion and this is probably just your turn.  Stay the course and the pounds will continue to melt away.

I'm not a proteinaholic but I do recommend at least 60g per day.

Keep up the good work!

Deanna798
on 2/10/16 9:16 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm about a month and a half ahead of you in the journey, and my loss has slowed considerably.  Those first few months the weight flew off of me, but now it's slowed down a bit.  I'm sticking to it, and trying hard to keep my carb intake down (I try to stay under 50 grams a day).  I get AT LEAST 65 grams of protein a day, that is always my main focus.  I weigh and measure every bite, even when I slip up and eat outside of plan.

Also, I come here everyday and see what other people are eating/doing to take the weight off and keep it off.  I feel like I'm not alone in the struggle, there are people who've done it before me, and I can learn so much from what they have gone through.  

Stick with it, maybe our stalls will break at the same time and we'll keep losing!  Congrats on the loss so far, you ARE doing great!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

AdamBSessions
on 2/10/16 9:23 am
RNY on 09/29/15

At work, so gotta be short. Thanks everyone for the input, suggestions and support.  This group is great - (lurked for a while before joining this am)

Grim_Traveller
on 2/10/16 11:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Adam, I just wanted to add, my high weight was similar to yours. I was 475, 6'3". My surgeon's goal was 250, and my own initial goal was 225. I bottomed out at 182 for about a week, and have been within a couple pounds of 190 ever since. Your goals are attainable. It just takes work and time.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/16 1:37 pm

My son is always saying to me " Dad, let the lifestyle win out." He knows that as long as I'm doing the things I know to do, the weight loss will take care of itself. You are doing really good at this. And yes, your mind knows what it needs, your brain, knows what it wants. I listen to my mind now.

Muscle weighs more than fat too. If you're building muscle, your weight might flux. But some of the people who've already answered you are PHD level intelligent in all things WLS, apart from actually doing the procedure. Good luck. Stay the course.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views