Is nasty smelling gas as nd BM normal?

DEBGG
on 3/3/16 7:42 pm

I'm talking smelly!! Is it normal for it to smell So bad?

Kathyjs
on 3/3/16 8:02 pm

Well ummm yes :-) the fat leaves your body kind of a nasty way. Gas 13 years later is still a challenge. Ok here is my secret. In a store when you pass gas, wrinkle your nose and look around with that omg who did that look

White Dove
on 3/4/16 12:10 am - Warren, OH

I got rid of it by going through everything I was eating and drinking and eliminating all of the sugar alcohols.  In my case the gas was caused by Celebrate vitamins.  When I went to a vitamin without sugar alcohols, the gas went away.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 3/4/16 1:06 am

Welcome to our world!

Yep!

Sometimes RNY'ers struggle with constipation. Keep on top of it!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

grey
on 3/4/16 4:38 am - dalton, GA

me too girl!...it has to be the worst smell EVER! Is it going to smell this bad forever? I was talking to someone who was a year post op and she said when she got on solid foods it got better, gave me hope lol.

Grey

Grim_Traveller
on 3/4/16 5:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Some particular foods cause this, others do not. Find it, and stop eating it.

White Dove mentioned sugar alcohols. I would rather eat dirt than anything with sugar alcohols. They do unspeakable things to me.

Simple carbs also cause bad gas. I don't know how many carbs you are getting, but check it. Generally speaking, really high percentage of protein can cause constipation, too many carbs can be gas and diarrhea.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/4/16 5:54 am

It really depends what you eat and how often you go. Constipation can cause horrible gas - the bacteria can work on the leftover. Plus the long the food stays in your guts - the more they decay . 

I had to eliminate SA, and beans.  Some veggies.... Soy... Etc.. 

Some of us get lactose intolerance - from mild to severe..Anything with lactose even some yogurt can cause a lot of gas and smell. 

Very detail food journal may help you identify what is cause the horrible smell and has. 

Grains,  Corn... Etc... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 3/4/16 8:08 am

I see you just had surgery. It is definitely a learning curve early on. Simple carbs have that effect on me. 99% of the time I avoid them so 99% of the time I do not have this issue.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

DEBGG
on 3/4/16 4:51 pm

What carbs are considered simple carbs?

aesposito
on 3/4/16 3:41 pm

Simple carbs, milk (which is high in sugar) and sugar alcohols do that to me.  

Oh, and I learned the hard way early on in the supermarket... never, ever, EVER trust a fart...

:D

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.