Five days post op - this gets easier right?

Heather P.
on 4/2/16 6:43 am

I am having a really hard time trying to eat or drink anything.  I am getting about 40 oz of water in and only about 30 grams of protein. It hurts to drink water and everything else tastes gross to me right now.  I am choking down one protein shake a day and getting a little bit of creamy foods but I feel full - very full, all the time.  Any tips?

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/16 6:46 am

Trust me it does get easier. . I would try different temps of water. 

Sunqueen15
on 4/2/16 6:56 am
RNY on 03/21/16

It gets easier but not 100% for a while. Im 12 days out and still cant eat or drink protein shakes. I can push the 64oz of water. Doc is ok with this becuz Im not able to have a BM yet. Once that is regulated, he said I'll feel better and everything wont make me nauseous as its currently doing! Good luck to you and just make sure you're getting the water :-)

Grim_Traveller
on 4/2/16 7:01 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't sweat the protein so much, but you have to do better on the fluids. Try everything, but do it. You will continue to feel crappy if you don't drink more.

Sugar free popsicles and jello were good for me right after surgery. Powerade Zero too. Get it done.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Deanna798
on 4/2/16 7:11 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm 8 months out and still can't drink plain water, it hurts my pouch.  I drink herbal tea or sugar free flavored water.  Something with no calories, and no carbonation.  And do try different temps, I don't drink cold liquids at all.  I don't make "shakes" with my protein drinks.  I like it either warm or room temperature.  

Work with it and figure it out!   

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

karenp8
on 4/2/16 7:31 am - Brighton, IL

It will get easier because you have swelling right now but you have to do better on fluids. You need at least 64 ounces of fluid. I can't drink plain water either but add mio drops or crystal light to mine. Also thing thinks like herbal teas went down well especially right after surgery. Hang in there and drink more.

Eggface
on 4/2/16 7:45 am - Sunny Southern, CA

It does get easier. It took me about 7 weeks to feel new "normal" 

Aim for better than the day before... no one gets it all it all in at firs****er is super important though so sip whenever you can.

Mess with your protein (milk change-up, 1/2 water/1/2 milk) and sippy travel mugs help too (sort of strains them and avoids any protein-y smells) 

Warm broth or decaf tea helped me in the early AM, soothing, sort of primed me for the day ahead.

But keep this in mind... most of us if asked a few months in... "would you do it all again (even these first few weeks?)" would say "YEP! In a nano-second!" Hope you will soon be feeling the same.

Walking, fresh air, keep the mind busy.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Karen R.
on 4/2/16 7:50 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Hang in there!

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Han Shot First
on 4/2/16 8:03 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

It definitely gets better.  During those first two weeks, I could only really drink room temperature water.  Keep it next to you, and make sure you sip frequently.  30 grams of protein is not bad at 5 days out, but like others have said, the water is really important.  Keep working at it, and before long, you'll start feeling and doing better.

I ended up using the sugar free Kool Aid drops, and it's still what I drink a ton of to make sure I get my fluids in.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

cspotrun
on 4/2/16 9:54 am
RNY on 07/01/14

You have a lot of good advice here, but just wanted to say, it gets so much easier.  Post op is hard.  You're going to be ok.  One day at a time.

Karen   

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 248 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views