Allergic Reaction to Whey Isolate Protein Shakes??

Unlimited
on 4/19/16 5:29 pm - WI
RNY on 03/29/16

I'm wondering if I experienced allergic reaction to my Nectar (Choc Truffle) Protein Shake last night? Yesterday was my first day consuming TWO Protein Shakes - I had my last one just before bed. I mix these with unsweetened almond milk.  So this morning I woke to a very swollen right eyelid, left had some swelling.  I sat with ice pack on my eyes for 30 mins prior to work.  Sent a "mychart" message to my doctor's office about this.  Their suggestion is a trial of no protein shakes for one week, see if the edema resolves, then begin Protein Shakes again next week. And keep them up to date.....

My eye seems pretty much back to normal now after supper - esp since I didn't consume any protein shakes today.

Weird huh -- any one else experience this - or heard of others with this issue?

Thanks!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/19/16 6:01 pm

Food allergies are very common. Get tested. 

I am allergic to dairy (proteins - milk, cheese, whey, etc) plus soy, plus a few other foods. 

I am happy that I can tolerate nuts, and eggs... 

Get tested

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 4/19/16 7:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Do you have seasonal allergies? They are just starting up in my part of the country, and sounds like something I could get from them....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

lykapal
on 4/20/16 6:31 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I agree with this. Monday I was outside with the lawn mower and weed eater for a few hours working on the back yard. Then yesterday I had a headache that wouldn't stop. But I took my daily sudafed around dinner last night and today I'm fine. 

Out of curiosity, was that your first time using that brand/flavor of protein and/or almond milk? 

The reaction could have been completely coincidental - or not.

Hope you feel better!!

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

jenorama
on 4/19/16 9:32 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Boy, that's kind of telling! When I was on a milk-based shake diet, I had to use lactaid, but it sounds like you're having an actual allergic reaction. If you still want to use protein drinks and can't do milk, there are egg and beef protein ones and several vegan ones available. 

Jen

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 220 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views