Don't know what to do

Canadian_Girl
on 4/26/16 6:49 pm

Hey Everyone!!

I have decided that I am going to be going to Mexico for wls in December (the only time I can get off work). I have had my heart set on the sleeve but I have moderate reflux and am terrified of it getting worse so have been thinking about bypass. One of the reasons I wanted the sleeve was because I don't like the idea of dumping which I know is more common with bypass. I don't want to have to live my life not being able to have a small piece of cake at my kids birthday or one of my grandmas awesome Christmas cookies. Am I worried over nothing? Any suggestions?

Maria27
on 4/26/16 7:45 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Dumping off a small piece of cake or one cookie is incredibly rare. Most RNY don't dump, and even those that do almost always need to eat more sugar than that. I can eat 1/2 a cupcake, and I don't even want the other half because it is too sweet. I find that I am now satisfied with part of a cookie or other sweet instead of wanting a second or a third, so I find it to be one of the best benefits of RNY.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

dog_hair_dinner
on 4/27/16 5:04 am
RNY on 03/01/16

>  I don't even want the other half because it is too sweet.

Isn't this one of the most amazing feelings in the world?  I experienced this yesterday eating a bit of my husband's dessert. To see something you would normally binge on or eat uncontrollably before, and just be like, "yeah I don't want that" now....It's so liberating and empowering.  I no longer have to eat tonnes of garbage to feel satisfied.  I can just have a little bite and be done with it.  No weight gain, no guilt, just enjoyment and satisfaction.

Maria27
on 4/27/16 6:08 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Yes! I love getting satisfaction from a couple of bites now and then. I always felt deprived when I tried to diet before surgery. Being freed from that feeling is liberating!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

NYMom222
on 4/26/16 7:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Most RNY patients don't dump, fear of dumping for many is considered a blessing because it helps you from making bad choices. Even if you do dump, you maybe able to have a bite or two of cake... just not a piece of cake. Even without dumping I can enjoy a taste of something without having to eat the whole thing.

I would have a greater fear of having increased reflux, than I would of dumping. If your reflux gets worse than can make you miserable on a daily basis. Dumping is only going to happen when you choose to eat too much sugar.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 4/26/16 8:49 pm - Warren, OH

It took me five years to dump and that was from eating almost a whole bag of candy.  You will be able to have a small piece of cake or a cookie, although probably you wont want to fini**** 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Quiltingnonnie
on 4/27/16 4:00 am

I choose the bypass over the sleeve, because my fear of living with reflux was worse then my fear of dumping. 

Littlescribbler
on 4/27/16 4:58 am - Milford, NH

I had a lot of reflux before my RNY and now I have none. I have trouble with dumping too, but there is a small amount of sugar that I am able to tolerate--and so I've never missed a small slice of birthday cake! More importantly, I've learned to bake sugar-free treats (as well as become a better cook overall!). So, don't be afraid of getting an RNY because of dumping. Food will still be pleasurable and the health benefits may extend your life so that you enjoy many more Christmas and birthday celebrations with those you love. Good luck with your surgery!

Daisydoo02
on 4/27/16 7:43 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I don't dump. I am extremely sensitive to carbs, but not sugar.  You should for sure be looking into bypass if you have any kind of reflux. Getting WLS will be amazing as you will be around for all of your kids birthdays and many many more Christmas's with your family.  Good luck with your decision.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

hollykim
on 4/27/16 10:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 27, 2016 at 2:43 PM Pacific Time, Daisydoo02 wrote:

I don't dump. I am extremely sensitive to carbs, but not sugar.  You should for sure be looking into bypass if you have any kind of reflux. Getting WLS will be amazing as you will be around for all of your kids birthdays and many many more Christmas's with your family.  Good luck with your decision.

sugar is a carb, just saying.