Any ideas??

DEBGG
on 5/13/16 7:57 am

hello everyone!!! I had my surgery on Feb 24, 2016. I'm down 56lbs and for the past week I've been extremely tired! I don't want to do anything :(. I've been really busy everyday since I got cleared from my surgeon but all of a sudden I feel run down. I'm taking all my vitamins but I'll admit...I'm not getting all my protein, the reason? I'm just not hungry-I can't get it in. Any ideas why I'm starting to feel like this? Is it due to not enough protein? Please help 

BWthegreat
on 5/13/16 9:41 am
RNY on 01/26/16

Hey There for me it was protein but overall letting my body transition from the healing process, the more I walked and light exercise the better I felt. Maybe try an extra protein shake or bar during the day. Congratulations on your success so far.

mschwab
on 5/13/16 9:52 am
RNY on 11/21/14

It probably is your lack of protein that is causing it.  It is critical that you try to meet your protein goals during the rapid weight loss period.  If you don't give your body protein from foods, it will take it from your muscles (and remember, your heart is a muscle).  I don't know how many times a day you are eating, but you might try portioning out your protein over more meals.  That way you don't have to eat as much at one time, but you still get it all in.  Think of it as medicine, and just get it done!

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

DEBGG
on 5/13/16 11:34 am

I'm trying. I'm only eating soup once a day right now, and that's hard to get down. I am just not hungry :(

i just made a protein shake and the first sip was hard to get down. I will get it though!!! Thanks for the help so far, I hope I start feeling better-I start a new job this Sunday-eek!

sheriberi29
on 5/13/16 12:42 pm - Cleveland, TN

Ok. You have to eat more than soup one time a day or you will become unhealthy and that is counterproductive, you got this surgery I'm sure to improve your health so c'mon girlfriend!!! Mind over matter... Get that protein in. I'm sure that once you start eating better you'll feel better. Can't run a car on no gas. You must fuel your body. If your a mom, try to think of it this way..... Would you feed your child one bowl of soup per Day and deny them nutrition? Don't treat yourself any less. Take care of you..... 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

alwysquiet
on 5/13/16 2:14 pm
RNY on 04/06/16

Here, here!!! What she (sheriberi29) said!!! 

I'm almost 6weeks postop and struggling myself, to get all my protein in. One thing i have definitely found is that before sugery I was able to drink the protein powder mixes. After sugery, no such luck. They are too sweet or too creamy or just too wrong and I can't get past the first sip to get them down.

I seem to do much better with the pre-made shakes. The ones I find I can stomach best are the EAS Advantage ones (vanilla or cookies-n-cream, occasionally I'll buy one of the chocolates). You can get them at Walmart, Target and i've found there are some grocery stores that carry them, too. I've heard that after surgery some people can't drink super cold, but at night I take one of the shakes, 4-6 ice cubes and blend it. It makes it more like a treat and by the time I finish drinking it (about 30-45 mins) it is still cold instead of warm.

Also, there are some unflavored protein powders out there. Anything that is isopure (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) is pretty thin and can if unflavored it can be added to foods without making it super heavy. Try adding to unsweetened applesauce or your soup. Be careful the soup isn't too hot though or the powder can clump and curdle.

DEBGG
on 5/13/16 4:28 pm

I did pretty good today I think. I've had about 63 grams of protein. Any idea how long until I start feeling better? 

MassHockey
on 5/14/16 7:11 am

I spend from 9:00-11:00 every morning sipping one of tose 40 gram Muscle Milks. Not the tastiest thing in the world but it gets me ahead of the game on protein count.