Can't vomit....

Heather P.
on 6/27/16 10:23 am

Let me start this by saying that before surgery I was a "puker".  If I smelled vomit or heard someone vomit, or smelled something gross I would vomit.  Everything made me vomit.  My husband said I was a professional.  

Since surgery though, there have been two times that I either ate too much or ate the wrong thing and got really sick to my stomach, but I could not vomit, no matter how hard I tried (I really wanted to get it out of my stomach).  I put my finger in my throat and everything, but nothing, just dry heaves.   Anyone else experience this?

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/27/16 10:31 am

when the food leaves the pouch - there is nothing to come up.  so in that sense - we can't vomit., Once Things get stuck and things will be in your pouch - yo may find out that you still can vomit.

I hate dry heaves...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/16 10:43 am

Try to walk it off.  I wish I had better advice. I have only thrown up like two times since surgery. I know there really isn't anything there so I try to relax walk it off or lay down and wait for it to pass. 

Deanna798
on 6/27/16 10:45 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Nothing in the pouch means not puking.  It sucks and I thank goodness I'm not a puker. I wasn't before and I'm not now.  I hate it.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Heather P.
on 6/27/16 12:42 pm

I guess I never considered that maybe the food was already out of my stomach.  That would explain why nothing would come out.  I am glad this has only happened twice :)

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

kerbear1969
on 6/27/16 3:10 pm - MD

Don't feel bad I cannot vomit either :(

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

beachybikegirl
on 6/27/16 11:22 pm

I have had this exact same experience!  Yes I was professional puker too, not in a bulimic way but it started when I was pregnant where a smell could just bring it on.  Anyway since surgery I have had a handful of times where something I ate made me so sick I too was putting my finger in my throat to bring it up and relieve my pain but nothing ever happens.  I am a year out and I am unable to, ever.  Like another poster mentioned walking it off really helps me when I am feeling sick.

RNY on 6/25/15 Height 5.8 HW/SW 247 CW 142 (Normal BMI 21.5) GW 145

Hit my Goal on 5/1/2016 going for more...

Dibaby45
on 6/28/16 5:58 am

I had a band before the bypass so I was a professional puker. I could puke on command lol. I also could do it silently. Ugh the horrible band days. Anyways I too have experienced the same thing and it's awful! So what happens when we actually get the flu? Body wants to expel the bad stuff and it won't stop! This is scary to me. I guess I'll just keep that anti nausea stuff around. Thanks for posting about this. :)

Surgeon: Dr. Heydari. Lap-Band to RNY bypass. Surgery June 23, 2015.

Heather P.
on 6/28/16 6:24 am

Yw.  I'm glad I'm not the only one! 

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Kaitegirl424
on 6/28/16 3:59 pm
RNY on 05/06/16

I know the feeling you are talking about a little too well! I am still learning to slow down and take small bites but there have been a quite a few times I would eat something and just know that the moment I swallowed it, I was about to experience about 1/2 an hour of serious discomfort. I find that lying down immediately helps relieve some of the pain, but for times where I felt like it was coming up, I never had that gagging or heaving reflex but if I just leaned over the food would come up on it's own. Like baby regurgitation, just keep burping and spitting it out. Gross. I have been really working on slowing down and listening to my body.