Musings

pammieanne
on 7/12/16 6:12 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

So Saturday will be 2 months out for me. As I go down this path, it's interesting to me what I've learned, and even more interesting to see how people react to me.

• I apparently have a small pouch, or a very small opening to the intestine (I forget what that's called). But when I eat dense protein, I absolutely cannot eat the 1/4 Cup suggested in my binder information the doc sent home. If I do I'm miserable for hours. But even eating a smaller amount of food, I cannot drink anything for 2-3 HOURS afterwards, or again I'm miserable and often end up spitting up the water I did drink. This is frustrating, but I'm trying to learn to adjust to this... I'm also guessing as time passes, this issue will pass. Anyone else find themselves in this position 2 months out? How long until you were able to drink water more on the 30/30 schedule?

• People that know I've had surgery (and a lot of people do), are funny now. If i haven't seen them in a few days/ or a weeks time, I watch their eyes as they make a quick glance down my body looking for changes. Some of them will acknowledge the changes, others won't. But  I see each one of them do it. I feel like I should model for them, turn around, and let them get a good look sometimes! I don't mind, but it's funny watching them try to do it on the sly.

• My food is apparently EVERYBODY's business now! My friends, some of the closest friends, are obsessed with my progression and what I eat. We were at a party this weekend, and my friend that is originally from Israel cant' stop! I had a plate with a few things I felt comfortable eating (guac, cheese, and a small spoonful of potato salad were the offerings I could eat without worry), and in front of the entire group while we are eating exclaims (and she really did exclaim, everyone turned and looked) "Let me see your plate, Pamela, I want to see what you can eat now, I see a lot of color! That looks like a lot of food for you!" (all said in her cute, yet slightly irritating Israeli accent hahaha). I snapped back at her, apparently enough that we ended up talking about it the next day "Well Dafna, let me see your plate, I don't see much color on your plate!" As much as I am open, and have told anyone the truth, I don't need it advertised to a group of people that I barely know!

• It amazes me that I can lose 44 pounds, and still wear some/most of the same clothes. Damn woman, you must have really been squeezing yourself into those pants! I really hope it doesn't take another 44lbs to go down 2 sizes!

• Chewing is labor intensive... Really. It takes a lot to chew and chew and chew... I think we should get to add that to exercise each day! LOL

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

chassibi
on 7/12/16 6:36 am

Ha! I feel your pain. My size 22's must have been screaming for mercy because they just got much too big after about 68 pounds lost.  I have on a pr of 18's today. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/16 6:51 am
RNY on 03/15/16

LOL, I so feel what you are saying!  And, before I forget to address it....you probably will go down in sizes at about 60 lbs...so you're not far off--at least that is when I did.

My husband, who has been totally supportive through this whole process, said the other day, that sure is alot of food...you will never be able to eat all that--and, well, for the record, he was right.  All I had on my plate was lean brisket and yellow squash.  I ate most of the meat, but very little of the squash....and I am totally ok with throwing out what I don't eat now.  But, I was taken back by his comment, and shot back, do you know how much meat I have to eat to satisfy my 60+ grams of protein...lol 

And the looks, yes...up and down, like I was a piece of meat.  LOL  And I think it is tacky when they don't comment.  I mean, really, you OBVIOUSLY looked me UP and DOWN...and NOTHING??!!  Really??? 

I have chosen to keep my surgery MY business.  Only close friends and family know....  I did have to say something to a friend recently as he introduced me to his brother saying, Hey sexy, you're looking good....oh, meet my brother, Steven.....and then looks at him, she had WL surgery.  REALLY???  I soooo felt discounted.  But, I asked him to respect my privacy about this surgery.  I mean, really, oh, meet my friend--he just had a vasectomy...lol  Idiot.

Goodness, off my soap box.

Lets ignore the ignorance of others. This is our journey!

Susan C

pammieanne
on 7/12/16 8:02 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

'Meet my friend - he just had a vasectomy!" 

Exactly!

Because I'm such an open book I know I will tell most anyone if the subject comes up in any way or fashion... but it's MY story to share, with whom I want. I'm sure that at some point, I won't be as open about it, but who knows.

I told a close friend, whom I haven't seen since surgery, that when I see him, he'd better hug me and then admire me! hahaha! I had mentioned that not many have said anything yet, and he promised to gush over how great I look.  I may be a tad bit in need of some positive confirmation. I mean, my hubby is wonderful at telling me I'm changing and how he notices, but I need more compliments! hahaha!

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Lovely_Caprice
on 7/12/16 8:29 am

You are doing great!  However, after reading your post I am glad I have told nobody about my upcoming WLS surgery.  I don't need comments etc. about my journey - it is so personal.  Keep up the good work.

LeslieT3440
on 7/12/16 4:33 pm - Mississauga, Canada

OMG, you guys are truly dealing with this with a lot of humor which is great. People can be quite insensitive lol like really. I have so far not shared with anyone except my family about my upcoming WLS and am now wondering if I should have not told them too. lol

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/16 9:13 pm
RNY on 03/15/16

LOL, if you aren't laughing you aren't trying!   Life is too short, and this journey only makes it better!  I swear, if someone wants to rain on my parade, they are outta here! 

aesposito
on 7/12/16 9:27 pm

Please take this in the spirit in which it is given... because I love you and care for your success.

DON'T EAT POTATO SALAD TWO MONTHS OUT!  Yes you are still losing weight.  But no, you are not losing it because of potato salad.  You are losing it because you could eat a gallon of ice cream right now and still mal-absorp it.

That is all.  YMMV.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

pammieanne
on 7/13/16 6:59 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I know... I really do know better. And I am trying really  hard to keep bad carbs out of it totally. But with me having such a hard time with meats (and that particular day was the day after I had been stuck all day), I'm very limited. 

I just really wanted a couple of things on my plate. I basically picked at the potato salad and mobed it around my plate.

It's very hard, this early out, to find things to eat when I'm in a public setting.

But thank you for the heads up! Simple Carbs are definitely not my friend!

aesposito
on 7/13/16 7:19 am

Mayo and sour cream saved my meaty butt early on.... seemed to make everything go down better :)

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
Recent Topics