3 week post op and surgery update

ShrinkingStacy
on 9/8/16 11:07 am
RNY on 08/19/16

Well my surgery was on 8/19 and I knew I was having a hiatal hernia repair..but had another unexpected issue of scar tissue from my 3 c sections pop up.  The doctor had to do a lot of tissue removal to complete my surgery as a laproscopic one but she did.  Surgery was 3 hours 22 min long.  Had ALOT of nausea from the anesthesia but got it under control finally with phenergan.   Was sent home on Sunday and had a fairly good first week at home.  On Sunday 8/28 I felt really nauseated.  I couldnt pass gas either way and then started vomiting.  It was fairly easy until about 3am it got out of control and I felt like I had a blockage.  It finally settled down at about 430am and I slept until 6am when I woke up I took a small sip of water and started vomiting again.  We went to the ER and they gave me zofran..no help  them phenergan  I was never so happy to not feel nauseated in my life.  Did a CT scan and there was swelling in both my new pouch and the area they reconnected the intestine.  It caused a small twist which created the blockage.  They put me back on only clear liquids for a day and it seemed to settle down some.   They admitted me and then sent me home on Tuesday night.  I saw the NP for a 2 week followup and I had seromas (fluid trapped under the skin basically) on 3 of my 4 incisions.  The one was tiny  the other two fairly large,.  The top left incision had a huge one so she reopened the incision and found a large pocket of fluid.  Went today for my three week and all is good.  My body seems to be absorbing the fluids that are left.  I have a huge rash around my incisions from my allergy to tape.   its healing also though so I hope by next week this time Im feeling better externally LOL.   I do have a little pain when I first take a drink or eat but they think thats just the swelling not being fully resolved and will rescan at 6 week post op if needed.    I have to say the biggest surprise for me was the amount of weight I gained in m first 3 days post op  Anyone else have a huge gain?  They prepared us saying you will gain weight from fluids but I gained 23 pounds in 3 days.. I went home looking like a balloon.   I am happy to say at 2 weeks post op I had lost that weight and was on to losing some excess

Looking for food suggestions for soft foods.  anyone? 

Stats..   HW 345 in May 2016, SW 301, Post SW 324 (UGH)  CW 289 

pammieanne
on 9/8/16 11:18 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

So sorry you went through all of that! 

Hopefully you're on the road to recovery! 

Soft/pureed foods ideas:

Cottage cheese, hummus, Hormel chili, egg faces ricotta bake (you can google this), black beans mixed with a little salsa,topped with a little cheese, microwaved is really good!  Some people also suggest corned beef hash. Just remember, a tablespoon may be all you can eat, and don't pu**** At almost 4 months I can still not eat as much as my doctor allows. 

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

ShrinkingStacy
on 9/8/16 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/19/16

thats what they said to me probably will be a little behind on daily totals but Im not to concerned with that.. thanks for the suggestions

supershopper
on 9/8/16 11:36 am

check out the world according to eggface website (you can google it)

there is an entire post on puree foods.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

ShrinkingStacy
on 9/8/16 1:32 pm
RNY on 08/19/16

thanks I will do that  I am on soft foods though not pureed ones 

NYMom222
on 9/8/16 12:54 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Hope your bumps in the road are behind you... My Plastic Surgeon had told me the amount of IV they pump in in 24 hours can weigh 11 pounds itself... and then with swelling and fluid retention, you can gain a lot. I gained 10 with one surgery....getting your fluids in is the most important, and working on the protein is next. You need the protein for healing and it helps your body with absorbing the excess inflammation fluids...(according to my surgeon)...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ShrinkingStacy
on 9/8/16 1:44 pm
RNY on 08/19/16

yes thats a real issue for me with three seromas  they drained the one so its much better now.  I had no problem with protein when it was 2 shakes and no food but the doctor said its very important to keep advancing your diet so your body can handle digestion ..   Wow 11 pounds thats crazy  They actually had two IVs going so 2 bags of fluid at a time during surgery.   so I guess its to be expected  was just surprised to see the number lol    I hope the bumps in the road are out of the way now also.   Looking forward to feeling a little more ME  although I did return to work this week and that has helped a lot

Emiepie
on 9/8/16 1:58 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I am so sorry you had a rough start on your journey. Hope you keep getting better. Soft foods I enjoyed were refried beans, cottage cheese, yogurt and soft scrambled eggs.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

ShrinkingStacy
on 9/8/16 2:54 pm
RNY on 08/19/16

me too lol except the yogurt  I wish I could make myself like it for the protein but I just cant.  Last year this time of year they had a caramel apple pie I loved but havent found it this year yet.    I love refried beans I melt a little cheese on top   cottage chest and eggs also good.  I am actually eating soft foods so doing some creamed soups and chicken and turkey but has to be really moist.  I have been using my daughters BREEZA which steams and purees (if you choose too) lots of things.  Its been helpful  It really leaves the chicken moist all the way through.  Also doing chicken and turkey lunch meats  they were recommended because of moisture level and doing some cheese.  Not to much though as it could cause constipation.  Today I did chicken noodle soup and just didnt eat the noodles so had carrots and onions and celery all boiled soft and chicken broth  I enjoyed that as it was also liquid.. and I was thinking maybe I could start doing a soup with protein powder to make it more valuable to my body

Emiepie
on 9/8/16 3:03 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

My local walmart started having the caramel apple pie yogurt a few weeks ago so hopefully you'll find it soon.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 123 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views