Have to make up my mind soon

One Bad Beach
on 9/19/16 1:08 pm
RNY on 11/28/16

Surgeon said I was a good candidate for either RNY or VSG.  I have not yet made up my mind as to which surgery to get.  Can any of you RNY-ers tell me some of the pros and cons that you have experienced? 

I have two sisters who have both had the RNY...both over ten years ago.  Things have changed since then, so I was wondering what some of you newer RNY-ers experience.

I was dead set on the VSG, but the more I read, the more I am undecided.  I'm about two weeks away from all of my records/information to be sent to insurance for the approvals.  

CJ On Orcas
on 9/19/16 1:16 pm, edited 9/19/16 6:27 am
RNY on 09/09/16

For me, it was not an issue because I have diabetes and I believe RNY is the preferred surgery to give the best outcome.  I have seen plenty of people on this site who have had revision from sleeve to RNY also.  Good luck.

One Bad Beach
on 9/19/16 2:01 pm
RNY on 11/28/16

I don't have the diabetes issue.  I am anemic, and found out that I have high cholesterol, and I have rheumatiod arthritis.  Other than these things, I'm doing well.  I'm 5'7" and 284 at last weigh in.  I know with RNY, the projected weight loss puts me at 160, VSG at 190, but could I lose those extra 30 with hard work?  I don't know how hard it is to lose the last bit of weight.  Any thoughts?

CJ On Orcas
on 9/19/16 2:25 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Don't know what you take for RA but I have osteoarthritis and one of the down sides of having RNY for me is that I can never take NSAIDs again.  I am just 10 days post-op but am having a significantly hard time getting around due to arthritis pain in my hip and knee.  Not too worried because getting the weight off is the best thing for arthritis.  But definitely something to consider.

Regarding addiction issues, definitely have your ducks in a row first.  Not being able to turn to food after surgery is nothing to play around with.  I have had a while to process that and have many options of other ways to occupy my mind so alcohol or drugs don't enter the picture.

Teena D.
on 9/20/16 5:43 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Apparently, new protocol suggests that NSAIDs should be avoided for any WLS.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

One Bad Beach
on 9/20/16 8:07 am
RNY on 11/28/16

You're right.  NSAIDs will be out of the picture permanently.  I am on some medications that I take as needed that aren't NSAIDs, and hopefully, once some of the weight comes off, I won't have as many issues with the RA.

I don't have terrible issues with heartburn or acid reflux.

stacyrg
on 9/19/16 4:52 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I wouldn't put much stock in those expected weight loss numbers.  I had VSG and lost 130 lbs and was maintaining it.  My surgeon told me that the weight loss initially might be faster, but by the 18 month-2 year mark, the loss is about the same, as long as you do the work.  I converted from VSG to RNY because of severe reflux that began 1 year after my surgery.  Had I not had the reflux issue, I would have been extremely happy to remain a VSG'er for the rest of my life.

One Bad Beach
on 9/20/16 8:08 am
RNY on 11/28/16

Increased acid issues is something that I will be discussing with the surgeon on my next appointment.  Thank you for pointing that out!

Karen9849
on 9/19/16 1:58 pm

Hi I originally wanted VSG, but I have severe acid reflux so the surgeon  talked me out of it.  I do have a friend who did the VSG a year ago, she never had acid, but suffers alot and regrets her decision.  In the end its your decision, but be prepared to deal with the outcome.

Good luck to you

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

One Bad Beach
on 9/19/16 2:04 pm
RNY on 11/28/16

Thank you for the insight.  I just see my sisters.....both ended up having severe addiction issues...one to illicit drugs, one to alcohol, but that's them and not me....one ended up with not losing much weight, which could be from drinking all of her calories...

Just so many things to weigh.  Will ask surgeon on next visit what he thinks will have the better outcome for me.  Hopefully, his answers can help me make a better decision.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics