3 years out - maintenance with major fluctuations

NadiaM
on 10/16/16 5:23 am

Hi all!

Quick update - I was 3 years out on October 1st and have zero regrets. 

Yes, there have been challenges (low iron, some stomach gas/pains) but overall the most positive life changing experience ever.

I am a very active person, even overweight I was somebody who was in and out of the gym - but now my life revolves around Crossfit and any other activities I can get my hands on (yoga, hiking, etc.).

Anyways, I eat very clean with the occasional "bad meal or day" but nothing over the top. My question is, I sometimes see myself fluctuate by 10lbs - I know often times its hormonal or water weight and then I'll lose it within 2-3 weeks and go back to my normal 145lbs. 

Do any of you at maintenance experience this?

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/16/16 7:48 am

I am 8 years post op. I fluctuate within 5 lbs... But for me it is mostly carbs - no carbs days. 

When I follow low carb diet then re-carb for a day or 2 - my weight can get up as much as 4- 5 lbs...then goes down within 4-5 days... 

2-3 weeks - that for me indicates some regain...it also can be severe constipation or water retention due to hormonal imbalances... 

I know that when I Get too low on my scale it often means I am getting dehydrated - I can feel my muscle twitching just a bit, feeling more dizzy when I get up from a sitting position...I know I need more salt and minerals... When I get dehydrated - just drinking water will not do - I need to add electrolytes or carbs...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 10/16/16 8:06 am - Warren, OH

Use a scale that gives you your water weight and muscle weight.  Then you can know exactly where the weight gain came from.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics