What are some quirky things (habits) you do post RNY??

cabin111
on 11/10/16 11:16 am, edited 11/10/16 11:20 am

No, I don't mean not taking your calcium with your iron, or things like that.  I'm talking about strange habits you have picked up post RNY to help (aid) in your weight loss and health.  Here are a few of mine in no special order.  They work for me.  My labs are good so no major blasting my quirks...

1. For the first 5 years post op I would have a 1 or 2 spoonfuls of Wendy's Chili first thing in the morning.  I wanted to make sure I got in my iron, potassium, and fiber.
  2. I nibble on a B Complex pill throughout the day.  Yeah, I know it's strange but it's a habit I picked up...(taste awful)!!
  3. I carry a can of beef or chicken vegetable soup in my car and truck...Security blanket.  I also carry a bag of rye crackers, nuts, raisins, and Cheerios in them too.
  4. I try and eat the color of the rainbow in my fruits and vegetables.  I feel it's important to make sure the minor nutrients are getting there.  So if I see some rosemary growing (it almost grows wild here in CA) I will go over and grab a small sprig.
  5. I enjoy dark chocolate (74% coco) during the day.  I try to avoid high fructose corn syrup.  But 1/2 of my sugar throughout the day comes from this.
  6. Many times I will eat a chicken corn dogs.  They have all those strange byproducts of the chicken.  But I believe those chicken parts carry some minor nutrients that I can absorb (like liver). Yeah, I know the batter is bad...But sometimes I'll have one.
  7. So...What are some of your strange quirks or habits that you have done post op??  It can be exercise, eating, sleeping, ect...Thought we could get a thread going.  Brian   
Catek2652
on 11/10/16 1:51 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

I catch myself hitching up my pants even when they fit properly. Losing fast this first year has had me going through the sizes so fast, I hate buying (even at GoodWill) yet another set of pants so I'll put it off until they are literally falling down. So, I've got into the habit of hitching.

I carry protein bars in my purse. Always. Keeps me from having limited and bad choices when caught out at a meal time.

I also keep extra bottles of water (a case at a time) in the car. I normally remember to bring my special glass water bottle, but it's been handy to have the water in the car for everyone else who travels with me. Also used it once for the dog.

I buy pork rinds four bags at a time. Basically empty the shelf as my local grocery store does not always have them and they have become my go-to snack.

Order more Premier Protein shakes by the case and order a new case as soon as I open the last case I have on hand.

I am for no less than 4000 steps a day (preferably more) and if I don't have them by my 3 p.m. snack, I take my dog for yet another walk while I drink my shake.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

The Salty Hag
on 11/10/16 4:01 pm, edited 11/10/16 7:45 pm
RNY on 05/20/13
On November 10, 2016 at 7:16 PM Pacific Time, cabin111 wrote:

No, I don't mean not taking your calcium with your iron, or things like that.  I'm talking about strange habits you have picked up post RNY to help (aid) in your weight loss and health.  Here are a few of mine in no special order.  They work for me.  My labs are good so no major blasting my quirks...

1. For the first 5 years post op I would have a 1 or 2 spoonfuls of Wendy's Chili first thing in the morning.  I wanted to make sure I got in my iron, potassium, and fiber.
  2. I nibble on a B Complex pill throughout the day.  Yeah, I know it's strange but it's a habit I picked up...(taste awful)!!
  3. I carry a can of beef or chicken vegetable soup in my car and truck...Security blanket.  I also carry a bag of rye crackers, nuts, raisins, and Cheerios in them too.
  4. I try and eat the color of the rainbow in my fruits and vegetables.  I feel it's important to make sure the minor nutrients are getting there.  So if I see some rosemary growing (it almost grows wild here in CA) I will go over and grab a small sprig.
  5. I enjoy dark chocolate (74% coco) during the day.  I try to avoid high fructose corn syrup.  But 1/2 of my sugar throughout the day comes from this.
  6. Many times I will eat a chicken corn dogs.  They have all those strange byproducts of the chicken.  But I believe those chicken parts carry some minor nutrients that I can absorb (like liver). Yeah, I know the batter is bad...But sometimes I'll have one.
  7. So...What are some of your strange quirks or habits that you have done post op??  It can be exercise, eating, sleeping, ect...Thought we could get a thread going.  Brian   

There's a brand of dark chocolate named Lily's that is sweetened with stevia. The chocolate chips I can find at Whole Foods and Fresh Market. The bars have to be ordered. It's really smooth, good quality chocolate and would get you away from eating chocolate with sugar in it. 

I don't have any unusual habits. Maybe for non WLS people, they may be weird, but not for us. I measure out and weigh my food, and don't drink with my meals...that's about as weird as it gets for me. I always have water or iced tea with me, but lots of people do that. 

Edited..typos galore! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

cabin111
on 11/10/16 4:50 pm, edited 11/10/16 8:51 am

I read the ingredients...It has sugar alcohol (Erythritol).  If you eat too much of it you can get diarrhea and gas.  I use to work in a Hershey plant in CA...One reason I got up to 300 pounds (all the chocolate you can eat on site for free)!!  They had a room called the "Smile Room".  It is where they made their sugar alcohol chocolate.  The reason they called it the smile room was because of what it could do to your body...

The Salty Hag
on 11/11/16 4:01 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Erithrytol is the least likely to cause stomach upset and the trots, and it's blended with stevia, so it's even less likely to cause distress. Maltitol is the really bad sugar alcohol, and that's what is in most sugar free chocolate/candies. 

I am very sensitive to sugar alcohols. Sugar free gum makes me sick, but I have no problems with the Lily's chocolate. 

Of course, I don't eat it everyday, and I keep it to a serving size or less when I do eat it. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

CathyV
on 11/10/16 7:51 pm

I weigh myself every morning before I get in the shower. Has to be after the bathroom (no peepee weight) but before showering (no weight from the water in my hair). I have a digital scale. I weigh myself twice, and if it reads exactly the same, I'll take it, but if not I weigh a third time and take the middle weight. Lol!

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

jseemann16
on 11/11/16 8:46 am
RNY on 09/29/16

I do the same thing! 

Surgery 9/29/16 RNY.

HW 211  SW 188  CW 125 GW 135

Eggface
on 11/11/16 12:42 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Hmmm...

I sleep way less than I did pre-op. I chalk it up to increased energy from taking vitamins regularly (b12) and my coffee habit (my only remaining vice.)

I also carry emergency snacks. Almonds or a protein bar for sure but when traveling I am like a female McGyver and could probably survive for a week on the contents of my carry-on ;) http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/10/healt hy-travel-tips-keeping-your-health.html I was once lost 10 hours in the mountains with no food & water so I have childhood issues about this. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. 

Exercise... I am always on the look-out for "urban stair stepper machines" staircases in my neighborhood I can run up and down... one of my favorite odd exercises.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?