Can you be eating too little cals?

karenp8
on 1/5/17 12:27 pm - Brighton, IL

Thank you for this Grim.

Daisydoo02
on 1/5/17 12:51 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

You are unstoppable with the AMAZING advice today!

Newbies READ GRIMs post above please!!  Especially the last paragraph!  

Thanks again Grim for keeping the newbies in check and on the path to wellness!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Teena D.
on 1/5/17 3:50 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Read it, internalized it and will be following it next week. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

birdiegirl
on 1/6/17 12:51 pm

Please pay attention to Grims last paragraph.   THIS IS IT  IN A NUTSHELL 

Don't overthink.  High protein,  low calorie , tons of non caloric fluids,  nothing unnecessary.   Remember,  you have ONE CHANCE to do this.  Don't waste one day of optimal losing. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/17 12:31 pm
RNY on 10/26/16

I go for PB2 vs. regular.  More protein per calorie.  Adds fantastic to shakes to pick up the taste and the protein.  Just an extra 2cents

Daisydoo02
on 1/5/17 1:09 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

If your calories are all or mostly protein then yes increase them a bit, but DO NOT increase your calories with carbs NOPE!

DO NOT eat back calories.  Not being a ***** here but I imagine you have lots of extra weight to still get rid of since you are just 2 months post op?  So you have lots of fat to burn and you will be fine.  Have a small handful of nuts & cheese before your run or a hard boiled egg and take something like Gatorade (SF version) on your run for some electrolytes.

Of course you are tired... you just had MAJOR surgery 2 months ago, you are still carrying around excess weight, you are working out and eating a lot less calories than before, tired is totally normal.

Can't stress enough that early out the following needs to followed to the "T"

• low calories
  • high protein
  • low to no carbs
  • LIQUIDS like its your job
  • And get the weight off as fast as you can, if you can do it in 6 to 8 months then you are set!  In my opinion anything past 8-10 months it is sooooo hard to get to goal if you are not at goal by a year or under a year because the struggle gets real, the hunger comes, back, portion sizes increase, people start to eat off plan and let carbs and "treats" sneak back in.  Some people do continue to lose weight post 1 year but they have to work their butts off for it.  Some never get to goal post one year.  Don't let anyone tell you this is not a RACE to get the weight off fast, they are lying and don't know what they are talking about.

I personally didn't start to work out until I was 7 months post op, I didn't have the energy and I was putting all my efforts into the weight loss and getting my eating/drinking and vitamin routines down, the exercise came later. 

Make sure you are well hydrated and getting lots of rest, keep up the great work!!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Dundreggen
on 1/5/17 1:32 pm, edited 1/5/17 5:55 am - Canada

Not a carb fan so no worries there.  I had done a keto diet before and was the most sustainable of all the ways of eating I had tried before, but not successful enough.

I did say I was not a fan of eating back calories.  One it is pointless, Why eat them AFTER you have worked out?  LOL if you thought you needed a bit of energy you need to eat a few of them before you run.  And two if you eat them all back then that negates the effort you put into working out :)

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

NANNY13
on 1/5/17 5:40 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

I am a runner and my weight came off super fast. I did not add calories in until in maintenance mode. I did however have issues with hydration. My body requires a minimum of my body weight  and a half just to stay hydrated or I will have issues that you have described. I eat something before my run because I know I will be gone at least an hour. Your body will learn to do what it is supposed to do and burn that fat that it already has to fuel it. The only trouble you can create for it is hydration or not enough protein and then your body will want to eat your muscle instead. my protein levels stay on the low end even with 70 100 grams of protein daily so be careful there and also watch your electrolytes.

conazza
on 1/5/17 5:48 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

That makes me feel better. I've been swimming a bit but don't have the energy to do much more at 3 months out so I'm glad to hear you were 7 mos. post op....

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

CelticRavens
on 1/5/17 2:52 pm
RNY on 12/19/16

Just came home from my 2 week followup & had the same thought about calories.

I've had no problems, my labs looked great, & my diet is on track with my water/protein totals where they expected, but I've only lost 5lbs in the first 2 weeks. I asked my nut if I need to up my calories & protein. I've been getting 340-750 calories in & sticking to the 60-80 grams of protein. I believe my body thinks I'm in a famine so it's holding on to every pound it can til some food starts showing up again. She thinks that might be slowing my loss since I'm 6'1. She wants me to slowly raise those numbers to 800-1200 calories a day + 75-125 grams of protein during the next week & see if that kicks my metabolism into burning off the pounds. I'm on to the soft foods phase of my diet so I can add some more variety this week.

I've been cleared to go to the gym, too, for arms/shoulders & lower body excercises, so we'll see if that helps.

Hope you find what works for you.

CJ 55 6'1 HW 415 SW 349 CW 263

Surgeon's goal - 245lbs My goal - 215 -195lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 286 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?