6 weeks out needing HELP

RNY_elizabeth
on 1/18/17 12:36 pm, edited 1/18/17 4:38 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I think my doctor did a pretty good job all around.  I have learned a bunch here as well. Check out this video FAQs from Dr. Faulkenberry and it may answer some of your questions. There are also printable documents on the site you can read.

Most important lesson here though...you are responsible for your own ride 100%.  

For years before RNY I felt like there was always something out of my control that was 'making' me morbidly obese.  Outside pressures were always to blame.  My body, my metabolism, my family traditions growing up, abuse and suffering in my past, addiction history in my family...I could go on and on.  Ultimately I have learned I was MO because I was choosing everyday to eat too many calories. Period. No one else is responsible except me.  

RNY gave me the power to and the responsibility for being my own person. It is my job to educate myself, not my surgery team.  It is my job to find recipes and methods of cooking that work, not my nutritionist. It is my job to find out what exercises my body is able to do and do them, not my friend or husband or personal trainer or anyone else.  Those other people can be resources.  OH can be a resource. My surgeon is a great resource.  But ultimately you are in charge now. Period. Read read read...research research research...and never again let anything except YOU decide how your body is going to be.

Really.....never again let anything except YOU decide how your body is going to be. You are in control now. Make the most of it.

All the best to you!

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 1:41 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

All good points! Thank you so much!!!!! And thank you for the video :-)

NYMom222
on 1/18/17 12:38 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Doc's mantra was protein first then veggies and then IF you had any room, fruit and carbs.... In the beginning you will barely have room for veggies. At 6 weeks sometimes I could only eat 3 bites. Depends.

I did do a protein drink every day the first 2 years....

I started using straws at 3 weeks- if it gives you problems with 2 much air/gas stop, but at this point it won't hurt you, and for me it made it easier to get the water in.....

Keep it moist, chicken thighs often work better than breast, eat slow, chew well...add a little broth, sauce or gravy if needed....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 1:54 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

Thank you! My doc didn't say anything about the importance of order to eat each food in. Good to know.

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 7:31 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

Great! I will be looking at all of these. Thank you!

monkam
on 1/18/17 7:08 pm
RNY on 02/16/15

Didn't see any info about vitamins. You need multi vitamins, calcium citrate with vitD3, and iron. And maybe more. There's pills or chewies or see patchMD.com from here for discount we need 200% of multivitamin. So if ref dose is one pill per day we take two - one morn one eve. Calcium citrate need 1500mg per day and we can only absorb 500mg at a time so we take 3x per day. Don't take within two hours of multi if multi is your source of iron. People use phone alarms as reminders. Or phone apps like MedCoach. It sounds complicated but becomes very routine once u get it going. 

Mandi87
on 1/18/17 7:35 pm
RNY on 12/08/16

I want to try something different than what I'm taking. They taste fine (I have the chewables) for all my vits/supplements except for my iron which is a capsule. My only issue is that they have a bunch of fake sugars/sweeteners in them. Do you know if there's any kind of liquid vitamin that is specifically for rny people? Thank you so much for the vitamin info!

monkam
on 1/19/17 4:41 am
RNY on 02/16/15

I never had any problem with pills from day 1, so I never did any chewables and didn't worry about sugars.  Occasionally one of my calcium doses will be a chew from Bariatric Advantage.  They have 500mg  & caramel flavor is great.  But I don't the chew for 3 doses a day and not even always one of the doses per day - it's more of a treat.  I don't know about liquid vits - maybe others will chime in.  I have only recently ordered Patch vits because many people on here have tried, see good results with numbers on lab work and they love the ease of them.  See posts on this board about the 40% discount from PatchMD  thru January.

Cosmos2112
on 1/18/17 7:10 pm

It will be one month post op on the 22nd. I just tried broiled cod for dinner. Barely a 1/4 cup. Had a bit of my puréed roast. Avoiding carbs like the devil because it spikes my blood glucose. Had my post op check with the WLS centers internsl med doc. Am doing great. I'm still drinking one premier protein shake as a meal. Not having cottage cheese or triple zero yogurt, milk, or kefir as it spikes my blood glucose. NUT I can skip the carbs now. When I lose more weight I will try some carbs. I don't know if I am totally ready for the soft transitional foods yet. 

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?