Constipated & stuck

Mahalo F.
on 1/24/17 5:38 am

Good morning everyone!   

I hope that anyone who has had RNY surgery recently is doing well... Sorry for being a lack of support...

It has been a while since I have posted...

Trying to get caught up at home...

With my ankle surgery & RNY back to back, I have fallen behind at home.

I have been very constipated for the last ten days...

Drinking 2 litres of water, 1 litre of tea, 1 litre of Costco Premiere Protein shakes...

I have been taking Colace (stool softener) (2) capsules twice daily & 1 packet of Restoralax with more water.

Warning TMI- The constipation has been causing significant problems down below.  I am able to go but with great difficulty & consequences.  

Last night I bought the Baby Heinz prunes & I will add them to my food choices today...

Feeling like I am bunged up to my Esophagus. What the heck?

Any thoughts or recommendations??? Please???

Thank you

Sandra   

Mahalo.  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Wyldspirit
on 1/24/17 5:48 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Be aggressive and work both ends. Fleets enema and rectal suppository will work in minutes to hours. Take three dulcolax tabs by mouth.  This will work in 6-12 hours. 

I take three dulcolax tabs three times a week at bedtime and they work by morning. Nothing else works for me. 

Good luck

Sue

HW 330 CW 188

Surgery 3/14/16

Patty R.
on 1/24/17 5:59 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Ohhh, I feel your pain!! A few years back I learned the hard way RE: narcotic pain meds = constipation while hospitalized. They were the ones who turned me on to Miralax/Restoralax. I was allowed to take it twice a day until things were comfortable on the way out.  I also found that it seemed to work better in a warm liquid, but that may be just me. I know some on OH take it 3-4 times a day if they're in trouble. Keep your fluids up as this med draws liquid into your intestines to help get things moving. I still use it faithfully every AM in my coffee!!

I hope thing improve quickly, you are doing all the right things!

Patty

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

Insert Fitness
on 1/24/17 6:14 am

At this point, I'd suggest an enema as well. It won't be the most fun afternoon you'll ever have, but definitely worth it. And once you do get cleared out, what works for me is increasing my fiber. I wasn't interested in added calories, so I take the Metamucil capsules 2-3 times a day. This is only a good idea if you are sure you are getting plenty of fluids though. And I've heard some people have bloating or cramps from fiber capsules. Not a problem for me. I also take restoralax every second day or so. 

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

NasaJen
on 1/24/17 6:22 am
RNY on 12/09/16

Milk of Magnesia!!!!  I was over 10 days plugged up, this worked with in 6 hours...  

LapBand: 3.2.10

RNY: 12.9.16

Highest: 451

Morning of RNY: 283

Current: 195

odie
on 1/24/17 6:44 am
RNY on 05/26/14

Yep, enema time!!  I take 2 Colace capsules every morning.  Just a thought, all of the protein drinks caused me to become blocked up.  Don't know why!!  I drink over 60 ounces of water a day and also 4 large mugs of coffee but still need the stool softeners.

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/17 7:33 am

good advice going here 

My doctor told me that it is normal to not go every day, BUT, never 3 days.  Miralax works oK but Dulcolax is better for me.  Little is worse for a RNY then constipation.

Once you break through, keep on it!

NYMom222
on 1/24/17 7:52 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I find a regular dose of Miralax in my morning coffee is my best friend. I have had the worst constipation of my life on and off since surgery, and you don't want to do any extra straining so early out... your body is still healing internally. I find the Miralax/Restorlax works better than Colace for me with less side effects- gas etc...

When things get bad I use a fleet liquid Glycerin suppository... It is like a mini enema and works in minutes... some times do it twice if it's really bad. I buy at Walmart because they have the best price. Easier than a regular enema and better than regular suppositories because it works so quickly.... (TMI- I actually do it on my bed, so I can hold it longer- before moving to bathroom....with all enema type things you want to hold it in as long as possible)

My Miracle Worker

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CJ On Orcas
on 1/24/17 8:49 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I just started adding Miralax to my coffee in the morning...  how much do you add?  I started with half a capful but maybe I should add more?

Patty R.
on 1/24/17 9:03 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I dose on the previous day's results. If it was a good day 1/2 cap the next am, if not so good, full cap. For me, I need to go every day or I get into trouble.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views