Confessions of a food addict

Amy Liz
on 2/20/17 4:04 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

I always have a list and get everything on it and then some. I think talking about here it helping. I am seeing it differently already. 

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

Teena D.
on 2/22/17 6:28 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Could someone else do your grocery shopping for you for a while?

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Deanna798
on 2/20/17 9:50 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Changing our relationship with food, I think, is the hardest part of the surgery.  My body healed, I had no complications, my I am still working on getting my mind right.

I miss the comfort I had with food.  It's difficult to find a healthy alternative to shoveling food in your face.  A lot of times the things that make us feel good are not good for us.  I am trying to find healthy ways to deal with life and stress.  Therapy helps, so if you're not seeing someone, it would probably help to go, even if it's just for a little while.

This journey is about so much more than weight loss.  Some people may disagree with me on this, but if we got to the point where we needed weight loss surgery, each and every one of us has a bad relationship with food for one reason or another.  Therapy can only help with that.

Good luck and a huge congrats on your success so far.  I'm finding that staying focused is the most important thing for me.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Amy Liz
on 2/20/17 10:17 am
RNY on 11/21/16

I agree, I/we do have a very unhealthy relationship with food, its what got me to over 300 pounds.

I had started seeing a therapist right before surgery. The first appt she was 15 late and we were interrupted 3 times with her personal business but I liked her so I let it go. The second appt, she didn't show, like completely forgot. It was a week before my surgery and I was desperate not to have to find another therapist. The third appt, a week after my surgery, she didn't show again then after sending her a scathing text she berated me for not wanting to work through it with her. she is therapist, who you are supposed to be able to trust. Oh hell no. I just haven't looked again for another one, but I think it's time. 

Deanna798
on 2/20/17 10:24 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm on my second therapist since surgery.  I saw one starting about 2 months post op, and then quit seeing her last summer when I felt I had my **** together.  Then this fall **** started hitting the fan for me, so I found another one.  I wanted to start fresh because I sometimes feel like I gloss over my issues, and I wanted to walk in a with a clean slate and just lay every little ugly thing out on the line with no sunshiney day bull****

I like my new therapist a lot.  I hope you find one that will work for you, and be respectful of your time.  Your old therapist sounds like she needs some therapy, and it is probably for the best that it didn't work out.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Amy Liz
on 2/20/17 10:46 am
RNY on 11/21/16

OMG, I think she needs therapy too!!! I can laugh about it now, but I was really hurt when that happened. I felt very rejected and it was nothing to her. Anyway, I'm like you, I put it all out there no sunshine ( I love that!) I'm there for a reason and I don't hold back. I also tend to end it when I feel I have my **** together too! I want help, I need trustworthy open minded objective guidance. I usually walk away thinking of things differently and it opens my mind to different ways of coping and resolving my issues. Okay, researching new therapist now!

The Salty Hag
on 2/20/17 11:10 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I had one appointment with a therapist who was so unprofessional that it shocked me. It takes a lot to shock me. She was checking her phone/getting texts from her kids/answering texts/taking calls from her kids during the entire appointment. I seriously wanted to tell her she needed to go home and take care of her kids and to try the workforce again after her kids left home. My sense of propriety won out and I held my tongue. I just never bothered making another appointment with her. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Amy Liz
on 2/20/17 11:17 am
RNY on 11/21/16

It's ridiculous, right? After the third time I couldn't hold back. I asked her what was wrong with her and told her she was the worst for treating someone that came to her for help with such little regard. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 10:55 am
RNY on 10/26/16

The first step is realizing there is a problem.  The second is asking for help or at least saying it out loud.  Fantastic.  I went crazy with bariatric foods right before and after surgery.  I could feed an army, but I've stopped buying and actually started purging.  If you can't transition, then by all means find a new therapist.  Now I just have to retrain my wife.  At dinner last night she was shocked that I didn't order 3 side dishes.  I mean shocked to the point of pushing me to order something.  I finally told her I no longer eat all that food, that this is a new person sitting in front of her.  She's a great support, but she has old habits too - even as they relate to me.  Good luck.

Amy Liz
on 2/20/17 11:04 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Thank you, yes, I do have a problem!!! It's true, we do have to retrain our partners also. As supportive as he is, my BF always says 'I'm sorry, babe' to me when he sees how little is on my plate. He can't quite wrap his head around me not being physically able to eat more. He thinks I'm depriving myself. 

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 80 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 305 views