Confessions of a food addict

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 11:40 am
RNY on 10/26/16

That's probably the biggest thing I get post surgery - the "Sorry, you can't eat more."  I just say its all good.  I've already eaten my share of food for this life and the next.  This is just evening things out.

I think my wife just liked to pick at a bunch of sides at these fancy steakhouses.  I forced her to commit to the one item she wanted, as she wasn't willing to order 3 (thank god as they were each about $13).  I just laughed.

Good luck on attacking this head on.  I have lots of friends who failed at weight loss and they had the surgery.  The big lesson for me - don't get ****y.  They did and started reading their own press clippings.  I had a friend tell me he was still losing after his surgery, but it was clear that he wasn't.  Our heads are our own worst enemy - good to stay focused on those demons.

mschwab
on 2/20/17 9:19 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

What normies doesn't get about us, is that surgery frees us from the tyranny of food.  At least it did me.  I can't eat a lot, and that is not sad. It is wonderful and freeing.  Food no longer is the terrorist in my life.  Do I sometimes struggle?   Of course.  But most days, I feel like RNY has set me free from a prison of food. I am so grateful for that. People that have never suffered from obesity will never understand what it means to have the tools to manage our chronic disease of obesity, and that's okay.  What matters is that we get it.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

NYMom222
on 2/21/17 9:34 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Love this

I need to remember to see the glass half full sometimes when I am struggling.... 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

selhard
on 2/20/17 11:05 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

What you write about is why people like me, and maybe you, will have to constantly work at the WLS lifestyle lifetime.  I spent the WLS honeymoon phase wondering if the food addiction light switch would be permanently turned off or left on.  Even though it's an enthusiastic "permanently off" for some, it's an unfortunate "still on" for me.  That first year post-op, I also strategized skewed thinking like  "what if I try to choose a healthier-than-average transfer addiction in order to prevent spiraling backward..."  You are making moves toward solutions by confessing your thoughts, throwing those thoughts out there, finding out you are not alone, and accepting encouragement from those willing to cheerlead instead of criticize.  Go, Ymaliz.

Amy Liz
on 2/20/17 11:12 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Thank you, it's OH is all about! I think I assumed this would go away, especially after losing my hunger. I figured my obsession about food would magically leave me. Transfer addiction makes more sense now than ever. 

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

CJ On Orcas
on 2/20/17 11:46 am
RNY on 09/09/16

This thread brings tears to my eyes.  I am food obsssed.  I am a food hoarder.  I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about food, my meals, shopping.  My wife comments on how much time I spend talking about food. Partly I feel like I need to spend so much time planning so I do not go off the rails.  But part is just that obsession with food, period.  I love thinking about food.  Have also not found a substitute that feels the same.  Sometimes, I miss the full feeling I used to get that was mind-numbing.  Almost always I am shocked at the small quantity that I can eat now.  

I have not had an emotional problem so far, I thought, but this thread shines a bright light on the fact that I have just not dealt with it yet.

Amy Liz
on 2/20/17 11:57 am
RNY on 11/21/16

I too am shocked at how little I put on my plate and more often than not, I can't even finish. I also am afraid if it don't think about, plan and keep every possible option avaialble in house that I will make a bad choice. I watch way too much food network and surf Pinterest for recipes far too much. Food obsession, the struggle is real. 

peachpie
on 2/20/17 12:06 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I don't think I'm hoarding food-- but a trip to the supermarket takes forever as I reminisce about all the stuff I used to buy, traveling by the bakery, snack aisle etc thinking about all the crap I'd love to indulge in. I've not bit the bullet and bought anything (yet)- but I'm sure it not 'healthy'. I liken my habit to that of a childless woman who walks the aisle of a baby store- wishing and wanting. 

I just add that to say-- I get it. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Amy Liz
on 2/20/17 1:01 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

That is an interesting way to look at. Maybe that is why I watch food network and pour over Pinterest so much. I'm just reading the menu....

valtapa
on 2/23/17 4:22 pm
RNY on 03/15/17

I will have surgery March 15, but I totally identify with the food obssession...I purposely don****ch Food Network because I know in no time I will have the urge to eat and would not have been hungry...Im hoping for a change in my relationship with food and that the surgery will give me the time to change....I am happpy to see others sharing what I keep in my head...the struggle to be around food...its real!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 88 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 307 views