Post op questions!

IceCreamDivorce
on 3/10/17 1:45 pm

hey everyone!

I had my surgery on Monday 3/06/17 and it went well. I'm glad I did a lot of research to prepare me even up till now. The only pain /discomfort I had was from the gas and I can say the worst is behind me now.

1: I'm paranoid about blood clots so I'm walking every chance I get when I'm awake.

2: I'm still weak. I feel ok for a minute but my energy fizzles out quickly and suddenly.

3: I'm obsessing about my incisions to make sure they're healthy and healing as they should.

4: I still haven't had a bowel movement and don't envision one in the near future ? TMI.. I know...

This is the one that bothers me the most:

5: the first 3 days I could barely get my protein shakes and water in . I felt full and stretched after a few sips. However, in the past 24hrs I noticed that I can already stomach more. I can almost sip my 8oz in 30 if I wanted to and can take more sips of water. I know the new pouch expands with time, but seriously? The first week?? Or maybe this was a slight adjustment? I'm still restricting myself by not going wild on the liquid diet, but did anyone else notice a little "give" in the first week ?

No trees were harmed to bring you this message, however, several ions were greatly inconvenienced. 

White Dove
on 3/10/17 1:48 pm - Warren, OH

There is swelling after surgery. As the swelling goes down you can drink more.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jenorama
on 3/10/17 2:06 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

You're going to be tired for a while. Anesthesia really does a number on you. It was a good three weeks until I felt like I had my energy back.

Regarding the BM, don't let that go on too long. Lack of fiber and narcotic painkillers will really slow you down, so check with your surgeon on what you can safely do to get things moving again. I ended up with a very painful impaction issue that was headed for manual intervention. Thankfully, I managed to resolve the issue without someone digging around up in there, but it was not an experience I'd care to repeat!

Jen

CJ On Orcas
on 3/10/17 3:37 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Still be careful about drinking too much too quickly... your nerves were cut and you don't have much feeling if any. Lot of us were afraid our surgeons did not actually do the surgery... but you will eventually know that it worked ;). I took senakot for constipation. See what your surgeon/center recommends. Don't let that go on, can be painful.

As far as being weak, it is a major surgery. I am six months out and have only recently started feeling really energetic. I am a lot older than most, but it will still take time.

Congratulations!

IceCreamDivorce
on 3/10/17 5:48 pm

You're absolutely right. The thought did cross my mind I may had been bamboozled. Even with the 7 holes in my belly.

Thanks for the good advice

No trees were harmed to bring you this message, however, several ions were greatly inconvenienced. 

Go_Zippy
on 3/11/17 5:08 am
RNY on 10/20/16

Congrats on the walking! Keep going even if you stop worrying about blood clots :)

Weakness - not unusual at this stage of the game, major surgery, yada yada. It'll come and go

BMs - try to do what you need to do to have a BM every day - constipation can quickly become a major pain in the a$$ - literally!! Keep up with the fluids and see what your team recommends re laxatives. Have a variety on hand (miralax, senna, mag citrate, dulcolax suppositories, fleets enemas) in case one isn't effective so you don't have to run out and get something when you feel miserable.

You'll have "good" and "bad" pouch days. Yes, there were times when I thought the surgery had minimal impact but over time you'll realize the huge difference the surgery made!

Good luck with your recovery!

5'5" HW: 348.5, SW: 311.2, CW: 254.6

Librarian67
on 3/11/17 7:31 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I had surgery on the 28th so I know what you mean about feeling tired. I keep reminding myself that I just had surgery and that all of my strength is going to healing and not to doing things like running errands. Just get LOTS of rest!

I almost had a party when I had my first BM, so no worries. We're hear to share what's going on, or not so much.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Nisha001
on 3/13/17 12:02 am, edited 3/12/17 5:04 pm
RNY on 03/01/17

Hi there.

I had my surgery on the 1st, just a few days before you. The liquids freaked me out too. There was such a huge difference of how fast I could drink between day 3 and day 5. By day 6 I was drinking 2-3 litres of water on top of my shakes. I freaked myself out a bit, but my drs said it was normal and not to worry about it. Just make sure I was walking and staying hydrated -- that what was most important.

My energy levels are very deceiving. I feel like I could run a mile, but after a 10 minute walk I am yawning and ready for a nap.

In terms of the BMs, yeah, it sucks. It was a week before I went. Constipation sucks. My nurses said fennel tea is a great natural releaver.

GOOD LUCK!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 230 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 59 views