Hiatal Hernia

Texas Girl
on 7/17/17 7:38 pm

Hi everyone, I have been experiencing pain in my chest, or behind sternum for awhile. I had RNY in 2005 and finally went to my PCM and he ordered a Barium swallow x-ray. Today I got a call from PCM nurse and she said Hiatal Hernia. I am wanting to see a Bariatric surgeon to look at x-ray, heard there are 2 in Amarillo TX. Question.... has anyone else had this happen and if so what am I facing?? I think I have to have surgery??

Input greatly appreciated. CJ

CathyV
on 7/18/17 8:50 am

In general I think surgery for hiatal hernias depend on the severity of symptoms. My grandmother has had one forever that she opted not to get fixed because she decided the symptoms weren't severe enough. I don't know if that changes after bariatric surgery. Didn't they check for this before your surgery? I had a scope before surgery and one of the things they were looking for was a hiatal hernia.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Grim_Traveller
on 7/18/17 9:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hernias are really common for the formerly obese. It has nothing to do with WLS itself, but rather being obese and then losing weight. It will be a pain in the ass for a while, but they'll fix you up. You are about the ten millionth person to have this happen.

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ALighterMe 1.
on 7/18/17 11:11 am

I had my RNY on June 9 and also had my hiatal hernia repaired. I was able to stop taking my acid reflex medicine as my GERD cleared right up. It's either you take medication for the rest of your life or have it repaired.

Kathyjs
on 7/19/17 5:14 am

I also had a hiatal hernia repaired same time as RNY. I had open surgery so have also had several more hernia surgeries.Get it fixed. So glad I did

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 187 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 263 views