7 years out need to re-address my issues

deenewme
on 1/16/18 9:22 pm

SO TRUE... while my stress is a portion of the problem-eating too many calories is definitely a culprit

deenewme
on 1/16/18 9:03 pm

Yes, I agree there is stress in most situations- good and bad. I have been attempting to get back into a devotional/prayer time and I am slowly learning the benefits of meditation.

Thank you for the suggestions! I have briefly looked into adrenal and cortisol levels, but it sounds like I can find out as easy as youtube. THat's great, I will research it.

Librarian67
on 1/16/18 5:58 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Congrats on your loss and for bringing the focus back on you and your health. You can do this with some refocus and work.

First, start measuring and tracking everything you eat. Every bite. Work on getting 80-100 g of dense protein per day and eat that first. Cut your carbs low, 20-30 g per day is what I ate while I was trying to lose. Make those carbs count by only eating non-starchy veggies and cutting out the fruit too until you have gotten to goal. Cut out all the bread, crackers,sweets, pasta, rice and other carbs. They will keep you from losing and only cause you to crave more carbs.

Track your exercise. I know that you are busy but try to set a goal to get in as many steps as you can. Exercise doesn't always cause weight loss, but it will improve your health and your blood work.

You can do this!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

deenewme
on 1/16/18 9:12 pm

Absolutely all of those are helpful ideas- and I need all the encouragement THANKYOU!

Now it is up to me to make my logical thoughts to correlate with my actions.

Unfortunately my " knowing what to do" does not match my actions. But I think journaling and data collection may give me the guidelines and help me refrain from falling into unhealthy habits.

I appreciate your positive insight REALLY! Thanks!

Nancy Geoghegan
on 1/16/18 8:03 pm - Lincoln University, PA
RNY on 01/23/18

Hi there. I am pre op and have been in therapy for several years for anxiety and depression.

My primary care put me on Vyvanse for weight loss and I told my bariatric team this and that I have Binge Eating Disorder. I saw their psychiatrist for several months and started weekly therapy with a therapist who truly understands eating disordered behaviors.

For me it all went back to childhood with a mom who was emotionally unavailable and used food to comfort herself - she also hoarded sweets. Coming from this dysfunctional family I was overweight at 5 and then obese for many years - I am 54. With the help of my therapist by delving into the reasons that I developed these issues it has helped me tremendously to be more aware of my feelings and see that I use binge eating as a coping mechanism for any stress in my life.

Long story short, find someone who can help you get to the root of your eating issues. Finding someone who specializes in eating disorders/issues was a huge key for me. I have surgery on the 23rd and I now weight 198 at 5'4. I lost weight pre op due to the help of my therapist *****ally understands disordered eating.

Just a thought.

Nancy Geoghegan

deenewme
on 1/16/18 9:19 pm

Thank you for sharing your journey thus far! I know there are an emotional connection and a block keeping me from taking putting my needs first in my life. I am currently seeing a Therapist at the Surgery Center.

I know it has been helpful, however, sometimes I question my progress. Reading that others have experienced similar situations does relieve my worries. I haven't seen a psychiatrist but may consider it in the future.

Congratulations on the hard work to get to this point in your adventure. I will keep the positive thoughts for your surgery date and I look forward to hearing/sharing experiences.

italianspice
on 1/17/18 5:21 am - Eastlake, OH

Reaching out for help is the first step! Kudos to you!

In June, I really got back to basics. Saw 164.5 on the scale! Had surgery in July 2010, never quite made it goal.

started journaling my food intake and increasing my water intake. Following the post op guidelines, have I been perfect, nope! But I am glad to say that I have gotten rid of 29 pounds of regain and hopefully will finally make it to goal.

With life being so stressful, maybe pick one post op rule at a time to start with. For me it was water, drank way too much coffee! And dusted off my fitness pal account

good luck!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

deenewme
on 1/17/18 10:22 pm

Coffee has always been my down file. I tend to drink it more than anything. So my increase in water is a big step for me. I am hoping to continue this change as I can feel the difference when I drink more water. Somewhat ironic that I to reopen my fitness pal account. Thank you for the encouragement!

oakley087
on 1/17/18 6:48 am

I hear ya it will be 3 yrs for me in march and last yr was not a good yr for me I can't blame anyone but myself and I know that life, stress,depression, drinking, pain, it just all went together. I have been disabled since 2010 and when you just stay home and are in pain most of the time and don't feel good can't get out it is too cold, I get out when I have to but otherwise I stay home I need to loose the 15lbs I gained never thought I would gain weight but I was wrong it is easier then I thought it would be,

deenewme
on 1/17/18 10:18 pm

Congratulations on your return to taking care of you! Being able to focus on our accomplishments is far more important than sitting in our stumbling. I look forward to sharing a positive progress with you!

It is my over whelming exhaustion and lack of self motivation that keeps me from moving forward. I can't imagine how difficult it would be with chronic pain. Thank you for allowing me to see the light at the end of my dark tunnel .

Most Active
Recent Topics