Tomorrow is the big day

Haley_Martinez
on 5/2/18 7:03 am
RNY on 05/03/18

Hello all!

So tomorrow is the big day, surgery is scheduled for 8am! I'm super excited and not really nervous, but I can't figure out what to do with myself today. I want to prepare everything for post-op so I'm going to clean, but any other suggestions on things I can do now to make the next few weeks or days easier? I'm going to the store later, but besides vitamins I'm not sure what to buy.

Thanks for any help

-Haley

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Librarian67
on 5/2/18 7:22 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Have lots of fluids handy. I drank alot of PowerAde Zero and herbal tea since I couldn't stand the taste of plain water for many months. Also I ate alot of SF popsicles and they count as fluid. If you like it, you may also want to get some broth to try for something that isn't sweet.

In the meantime, take a walk or two. It is good practice for post-op when moving is important to prevent blood clots and to help pass gas!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Dcgirl
on 5/2/18 7:54 am, edited 5/2/18 12:55 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Good luck! I was very nervous the day before but it's such a short and simple surgery! You will do great. I remember obsessing over what to bring to the hospital and what it would be like. In the end, I needed my glasses, my cell phone, a charger, and chapstick. Plus a button up shirt and yoga pants to wear home. That's it. When I got to the hospital in the morning, I told them how nervous I was so they put some special magical stuff in my IV and I was floating on a cloud of happiness as they wheeled me down the hall LOL. Then, the next thing I knew, I woke up in recovery and was perfectly fine. No shoulder pains from gas, no pains from the incisions. Honestly, the worst part was that they made me stay one night in the hospital and I couldn't sleep well with the sounds and with people coming in at all hours. The next day I went home and just sort of relaxed for the next few days while on clear liquids - I was drinking Premier Protein (ready to drink RTD) shakes and also Unjury chicken broth protein powder mixed with warm water (since the protein shakes seemed so sweet to me) and water. Sugar-free popsicles were a nice treat too. I went on walks in my neighborhood. I watched TV. It was lovely.

I did notice how many damn food commercials are on, and since my surgery was smack dab in the middle of the "month where I didn't chew" (due to a two week pre-op liquid diet and two week post op liquid diet (3 days clear drinks after surgery then 11 days of full liquids like greek yogurt - Dannon Light and Fit has the best calorie to protein ratio, and I did skim ricotta with italian seasoning when I wanted something savory) it could be tough to see so many commercials for food. But don't worry - you will eat solid food again, and when you're as far out as I am (4.5 years) you can eat quite normal small portions so take advantage of your honeymoon phase (the first 18 months or so) and follow your plan to a T!

No matter what your nutrition plan says, I recommend you listen to the vets (veterans - 5 years out or more) on this site who helped me immensely at the beginning. Many plans have applesauce and mashed potatoes on the soft food plan, and crackers and toast once you can tolerate food. STICK TO PROTEIN. Cottage cheese, tuna packets, egg salad, flaky white fish when you're early out...then chicken, pork, steak etc once you are cleared for full foods. I stayed low carb (under 30g a day****il I reached my goal two weeks short of a year (I went from 351 to 160 in that time). As you will learn, dense protein like chicken and eggs and steak will fill your pouch up, whereas crackers and popcorn do not, and leave you hungry soon after.

Also, don't drink with meals or for 30 minutes after!!!

I would also recommend that you put a little stepladder or small nightstand next to your bed where you don't have to reach so far, and at night keep a water, chapstick, and your meds on it. Take a stool softener since pain meds can block you up! I personally feel very sick taking pain medication so I switched to Tylenol on day 2 or 3.

Good luck - this tool is the best chance for success and you will likely wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

ScottAndrews
on 5/2/18 10:19 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I brought a good pillow to the hospital and it really helped. And some breath spray.

I bought some things in bulk like cottage cheese and triple zero yogurt and I ended up hating both. Your tastes may change....

good luck tomorrow!

Emiepie
on 5/2/18 11:11 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Best of luck to you!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Just4me7
on 5/2/18 6:47 pm

Best wishes for tomorrow! You got this

Pamela

Surgery 05-08-18 hw 317, consult wt 278, surgery weight 252. M1 -20, M2-5, M3-8, M4-6

Partlypollyanna
on 5/2/18 9:30 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Good luck tomorrow! Everything will go well and you'll be in recovery before you know it.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

rugertide
on 5/3/18 3:37 pm
RNY on 04/12/18

Good luck! You're gonna do great!

HW: 368, SW: 353, GW: 174, RNY on 4/12/2018 w/ Dr. McKinlay, CW: 216.2 and descending

Eat clean. Look clean. Work hard. Fit Happens.

It's not just the weight you lose, but the life you gain. You will soon fall in love with taking care of yourself, your body, your mind, and your spirit and you execute from the inside out.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 110 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?