A scale to measure body fat and weight

Dcgirl
on 1/3/19 6:55 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

So I am confused as to how scales can determine your fat vs. water vs. bone, but many say they can. I just have a regular scale. BUT, I saw on the Today Show this morning, for folks in the US, they have an incredible deal on one of those scales for $28. I may buy one, and in case you're in the market for one, here is the link:

Link to Escali scale for $28

Ginnny
on 1/3/19 7:09 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I don't know how they do it but I have one (Garmin Index Smart Scale) and last year when I went for my RMR test and (can't remember the name of the other test) it was almost to the "T" for body fat percent as what my own home scale said....so I guess it works.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Dcgirl
on 1/3/19 7:12 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Ok, I am going to pull the plug and get one! I don't know how the hell they can distinguish between the various body parts but for $28, why not? Thanks, Ginny!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/6/19 6:37 am

BTW: scales like that work by sending a weak electrical current through the body. Based on impedance they scale can calculate the fa****er, lean body mas. Unfortunately it is not that accurate. It may be off by a lot. A have a scale like that and so far it can show me 15% or 35%. It depends if my feet are wet or very dry, if I removed my calluses from my feet, how cold is in the room the scale is compared with my body temperature.

It is an indicator for me, to see average overtime. The scale I had linkes to the system (wifi) and display results in a table and a graff.

I hope you are going to enjoy yours. It is fun to use it IMO.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dcgirl
on 1/3/19 7:17 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Ok, this scale must be magical. I ordered it. It claims it can:

The Body Analyzing Digital Bathroom Scale features advanced digital weighing technology that provides a high tech analysis of the user's fitness level. The scale comes equipped with a 400 lb / 180kg capacity. It features percentages of body fat, body water, lean muscle, bone mass, and body weight for up to eight individual users. Whether you are simply monitoring your health, training for a big event or trying to lose weight - this scale will give you the advantage to achieve your goals. With this scale you will know if you are losing body fat, gaining lean muscle mass, staying properly hydrated and even help you keep track of bone mass as you age - all from the comfort of home.

Partlypollyanna
on 1/3/19 7:23 am
RNY on 02/14/18

It does sound like magic

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Ginnny
on 1/3/19 8:13 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Without a baseline for those numbers you'll only know if you're losing or gaining from the first time you step on it. Which is okay I guess, but would be nice to know if it's accurate from the start. Have you had a dexa scan lately?

Dcgirl
on 1/3/19 10:00 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I haven't had a dexa recently and with my regain, I would probably cry if I saw my numbers. When I lose 15-20 lbs of my regain (goal is 25 lbs) then I will go have another one. I am doing 3-4 hours a week of toning and weight lifting and boxing so I don't think my muscle is all that low, but I know my fat is too high!

Julia S.
on 1/3/19 8:46 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I bought a Renpho on Amazon for $29.99 and it is very close to what my Surgeons office is. It is well worth the money. It's bluetooth and works with an app on your phone.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/3/19 11:28 am

I have a scale that links to my phone and records all numbers. Then I can also show it in my fitbit account.

It was an expensive scale, but it can be set on a floor, carpet, etc. And it reliable. I could not imagine paying for it, so I put that on my list for my birthday. I love it and I use it almost every day. And I did not care of some people did not think it is romantic enough. I love romantic gifts, but I get so much use out of this one, practical gift.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."