I've been lurking...

tlw4u2luv
on 5/7/19 8:38 am

Hi! So I'm an old time member but back with updates ( I have to figure out how to change my About Me info). I have VSG back in 2010 and lost 120 pounds but had problems basically from the beginning. Long story short, I developed a stricture and couldn't keep dense protein down and had bad acid reflux, the doctor tried to fix the stricture in 2012 but was it was only mildly successful, I threw up less but dense protein still got stuck and after eating I couldn't drink for hours. Life got in the way and I just learned to live with it and eat carbs or anything else that would stay down. I gained back about 75 pounds (including a pregnancy). I finally went back to the doctor last year to see what we could do about the stricture. We first tried dilation but when I woke up the doctor said it was impossible to stretch and that the bottom part of my stomach had flipped over (the stricture was in the middle, shaping my stomach like an hourglass). So the only other option was RNY, didn't want it but I need to live a normal life and lose this weight once and for all. I had surgery on 3/26 and I'm down 28 pounds (stalling for the last week). So now I'm back and learning how RNY works and figuring out how to eat and drink with a "normal" stomach. I'm advancing to a regular diet tomorrow and I'm super afraid. When I work (12hr shifts) I get so worked up over planning to take meals and drinks with me and it just stresses me out. Now I'm going back to day shift which is stressing me out even more before I basically have to plan the day before for an entire day. I feel soooo lost.

xjaymox
on 5/7/19 9:40 am

I can relate, I reversed from lap-band to RNY on 3/7/19. It has been a struggle to adjust to the very different feeling of restriction with RNY than with lap-band. It is more subtle with RNY and I have vomited numerous times because I think I can eat more than I can because I don't feel the intense lap-band restriction. I'm starting to get the hang of it, though. I too have been stalled for the last week or so which is really frustrating. Also, I've been told numerous times that a revision surgery results in slower weight loss than an initial surgery, so that is frustrating as well. Best of luck to you, we will both get where we need to be!

Patty R.
on 5/7/19 1:00 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Yes, Yes, Yes!!

The difference in restriction is night and day, and takes really paying attention to your body's signals!!!

Early out, weigh and measure exclusively.

kairosgrammy
on 5/7/19 10:48 am
RNY on 10/17/17

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Okay, now breathe. Breathe in, breathe out. It's okay. It will be okay tomorrow, the next day and the next. One day at a time. Of course, you feel a bit lost. It's been 9 years since VSG so you are relearning and because of the problems you had, you never really did learn how to eat post WLS. It's a learning game and it never stops because we are always changing. So we are always learning and to be honest, the learning can be fun, most of the time.

Take more food than you'll know you'll need. I understand that you don't know what your tummy will accept and that's okay. Take "regular" food but also bring some extra stand by foods, i.e. protein shakes, yogurt, refried beans etc. Yes, you'll have an over-packed meal bag but that's okay for the time being. You will learn what works for you and what doesn't. If it doesn't work tomorrow, give it a rest and try again in a few weeks when you have a day off. Learning about "Tiny P" (Tiny Pouch, I named my tummy, go figure) was at times difficult. Sometimes, foods that gave me no problems before, will be a problem today and that is 18 months out.

Eventually, you'll develop a routine as you learn your new tummy. You'll also learn that you will plan and your plans will be thwarted. That's okay. You will learn your new tummy and you'll learn to adjust on the fly. I plan my meals, keep healthy snacks on standby and figure those out in the morning. My only real unplanned times are Wednesday & Friday suppers because I generally always eat out on those days.

Keep in mind you don't have to start a "regular" diet tomorrow. You can wait until your next day off and then feel freer to try foods. I found that Tuna Creations Pouches, which come in a variety of flavors, worked really well with me. If you feel sandwichy, try low carb wraps with a fattier luncheon meat (dry sticks easier) with some cream cheese spread. The wraps don't have that "doughy" thing going on so they shouldn't expand in your tummy. If you decide to go with a regular diet, be sure the meats are moister so do chicken thighs instead of breast, etc. That's why Tuna Creations worked well, I got the ranch & herb & garlic etc and they were moist and so went down easier.

So, again, breathe in, breathe out. Tell yourself, I'm fine, I'll be okay. Even if you can eat very little tomorrow, you won't starve. I don't know about you but hunger was a foreign sensation to me for quite sometime after surgery although I can't say it would be the same for revision surgery. Yeah, not eating much may mess with your energy level but it's only a day. I had to eat on a schedule because I would forget to eat. So if tomorrow, nothing works, it's okay. You'll figure it out and who knows, that might break your stall. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Also, advice, stop worrying and trust the surgery. I know that's difficult after your VSG experience but for now, what else can you do? Worrying now won't change what's down the road or even tomorrow. Que sera sera, what will be, will be.

Good luck tomorrow. It will be okay.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Nanners0828
on 5/13/19 10:53 am
RNY on 04/25/18

I had lap band and was miserable for a year, throwing up all the time. It finally slipped and I had it removed. 10 years went by, and I opted for a RNY in April 2019. I found the experience much easier with the RNY. Sometimes I throw up if I eat food that is too dry, but for the most part, it is very rare that I have any issue at all. I am down 111 lbs since surgery and have 34 lbs to go. I finally am now just "overweight" and not obese. Thrilling!

Patty R.
on 5/7/19 1:05 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Tuna, chopped chicken, jerky, meat sticks, greek yogurt and cheese pack well. Keep a water bottle hidden some where to sip on often. If you're really busy, on your feet, keep a protein shake on hand for a fluid and protein boost, if there's no time for a "meal".

It gets easier

tlw4u2luv
on 5/9/19 6:31 pm

Thanks everybody. My first day shift went ok. I was able to get in 85g of protein but only 30oz of fluids. The night is not over yet but I'm thinking I'll only get another 16 oz in if I can. It's hard when the joint commission won't allow liquids at the station like nurses don't need to hydrate! I took a shake, fairlife milk, a deviled egg, Greek yogurt, tuna creations packet(so sick of those lol) and ricotta bake. Didn't get a chance to eat most of it! I'll figure it out though. I really do need this stall to break though.

Most Active
Recent Topics