A little encouragement

Gavs50
on 7/19/20 4:59 am

I would first off like to say hello again and I'm sorry. I had Roux-en-Y surgery back on Sept 1st 2016 and it was life changing. I spent a fair amount of time in this community gaining knowledge through others experiences I also received a ton of encouragement from people from all over that I have never forgotten. Then I thought I had it and I went away, I believed that I could do it all alone. I was wrong. HW 320 Pre surgery 300 LW 175 CW 210. Total loss at max was 145. I have put some back on and am working had to make the right choices again. I am on of the blessed ones. ZERO side effects, no hernia issues no hair loss no excess skin to mention, only one or two aversions to food still to this day, dumping is still a thing but it's more I have to sleep than throw up, I really have been bless. Now if they could have preformed Brain surgery also to give me a new mind set it would have been great. There brain is the mussel that's needs the most work. Just looking for a little encouragement to get about 15lbs off. Anyone else figured out the way or been there? Pouch resets ?
thanks in advance for a wonderful forum and a great bunch of people that really help each other through a life changing experience

White Dove
on 7/19/20 5:39 am, edited 7/18/20 10:40 pm - Warren, OH

When they perform RNY they remove part of the intestine. The intestine is lined with small finger-like structures called villi. The villi grab food as it passes through and hold it against the walls of the intestine so that the calories can be absorbed.

After surgery, many of those villi are gone and food can pass right through without being absorbed. But the body is very smart and figures out that it is being starved. It fixes the problem by growing new and stronger villi.

So by year three you are no longer malabsorbing what you eat and the weight starts to come back. The only way to prevent regain is to eat less food. Most people have at least a 20 pound gain by the end of year three. People who started out higher might have closer to a 40 pound gain.

This is just part of the surgery and the body's way of healing itself. You can lose the weight but it will be hard because the body is working harder than ever to absorb as many calories as possible.

Learning to count and track calories will help you a lot. A man needs about 12 calories a day to maintain one pound. You multiply your goal weight by 12 to get the amount of calories you need to maintain. You subtract 500 calories a day to lose one pound per week. Subtract 1000 per day to lose two pounds a week. More than that is not sustainable or safe.

You can get to whatever healthy weight you want as long as you are willing to do the necessary work.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gavs50
on 7/19/20 3:06 pm

Thank you for that information. Very helpful

Dee_Caprini
on 7/21/20 3:49 pm

WD: I LOVE THE WAY YOU EXPLAIN THINGS!!!!! Makes it so much easier for (at least) me to understand various things. Thank you for the plethora of information you provide!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/19/20 5:57 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

White Dove is right on with her advice. Though I have VSG, losing weight and maintaining require essentially the same routines. I gained about 20 pounds last year due to some difficult life issues. I have lost the regain by doing the following:

1. Started following WW, attending weekly meetings and tracking points vs calories. It has steered me to much healthier and satisfying eating. I never felt like I was on a diet.
  2. Returned to the OH menu thread. Though I had continued participating in an OH VSG maintenance group, I find daily posting of my planned menu keeps me more accountable and I like the additional support of the others on that thread
  3. Returned to daily tracking of food (points vs calories as mentioned in 1)
  4. Returned to daily weighing

This worked for me and I plan to continue this routine to keep my weight in check. You need to find a routine that works for you and your lifestyle. Good luck!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Gavs50
on 7/19/20 3:11 pm

Liz

This is really helpful as I personally had great success on WW but as I referred to in my post staying consistent and motivated is always the challenge. I know I have the ability just looking for some ideas and encouragement. Thanks.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/19/20 5:03 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Best of luck! The battle never ends but this round with WW really seemed to give me a healthier approach to eating than any previous try (I am lifetime for the 3rd or 4th time). The new plan has steered me toward incorporating more fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth instead of cheating with cookies, cakes, etc.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Sparklincase
on 7/20/20 1:09 pm

Good info from white Dove. Scary also, I am 4 years post op and have said since day 1 the surgery altered my stomach not my brain. I made this life change and by the Grace of God I have maintained. Everyday is a mindful choice the struggle is real and worth it. You have to train the brain and not go back to bad habits. I dieted for 47 years and do not want to diet again in my life. I chose to live it, not diet. You can to!! I use saucer plates never large dinner plates and small forks. Change your feelings about food, use it as fuel not a crutch or habit.

good luck

Gavs50
on 7/20/20 1:14 pm

Love it thanks.

Healthybecca
on 7/28/20 10:20 pm

Great post. These answers are so valuable.

Most Active