Help! I can't get the weight off!

DEBGG
on 12/2/20 10:10 am

I am 5 yrs out from gastric bypass. My diabetes is back ? I walk about 1 mile a day. I honestly don't eat that much but I know I'm eating the wrong things. My husband and son are here and I cook for them or they cook for all of us.
it's so hard! Do I begin with a pouch reset? Liquids for 2 weeks again? Does that really work?
please help!! I'm so sad

Melody P.
on 12/2/20 5:15 pm - Amarillo, TX

In my experience pouch resets are mostly gimmick. The most important thing is to track what you eat...every little thing. I'm still learning but I think that is all of our's stories. Track, measure and weigh your food. It is key.

come on over to the daily menu thread! It makes it a little easier to not feel more isolated in our struggles.

catwoman7
on 12/3/20 4:59 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree with Melody.

just go back to the basics - protein first, then nonstarchy vegetables. Then, if you still have room , then maybe an occasional small serving of fruit or complex carb (like a whole-grain product). Weigh/measure and track everything you eat. And I agree with joining the menu thread - lots of us have battled regain (or are currently battling it!)

White Dove
on 12/3/20 6:36 am - Warren, OH

Regain is the body's way of recovering from having been put through artificial starvation caused by the weight loss surgery. By being overweight, you programmed your body to believe that it needs more food and weight to stay alive.

It will fight any attempt to lose weight. If not everyone, then at least 99% of us have regain. The regain usually starts in year three after the surgery. It is called the bounceback period. While it is best to eat healthy foods for overall health, your weight gain is caused by eating more calories than you are burning.

For me, I have to cut back to around 800 calories a day to lose weight now. I have a digital scale that cost about $15. I use either Weigh****chers or My Fitness Pal to track all of my food. I also weigh myself everyday on a smart scale. It tracks my weight, BMI, fa****er, and muscle weight. I wear a tracker that counts my steps and exercise.

Your diabetes is back partly because of weight gain and lack of enough exercise. But it is also back because the remission period does not last for most people. The pancreas is continuing to age and to wear out. My diabetes came back after ten years. I was under my goal weight and exercising a lot. But the doctor believes that my pancreas just can no longer produce enough insulin, so I need help from medicines.

You can lose the regained weight and get your health back. It seems overwhelming at first. After a week of low calories and low carb, your energy will return and it will get easier every day. Getting started is the hardest part. For me, day three is really hard to get through.

The menu thread is a great place to get good healthy food ideas. It is a good first step. Make a plan for yourself and do it in baby steps. You will get better each day and learn what it takes to stay slim and healthy for life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Teenie
on 12/3/20 1:07 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

You really need to get back to basics. Track, exercises, eat only dense protein and vegies and if your still hungry then have fruit such as berries or apples. Eat very little cheese and nuts but you can use those as a small treat but not handfuls. Move Move Move as much as you can. Start slow and build up. I also think you should head back to your surgeons office if you have not been there in awhile. I am only 3 years out and I still carry around the original plan book I was given. If you have it take it out read the maintenance part again. I am sure you are frustrated you just got to get back on track. Good luck I hope to see you on the menu thread.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.