Greek , yogurt

d_thomcat2000
on 3/26/11 6:41 am - Kapaa, HI
I keep hearing about greek yogurt.  What is so special about greek yogurt as opposed to other yogurt? 
mylastchance
on 3/26/11 6:47 am

High protein, low fat, low carb,  all the things we look for,  the only thing I found with it is it lacks taste too.  People add things to it to make it taste better or use it in different recipes to help up their protein. 
I like the chobani brand but it has fruit in it and adds to the carbs,  but sometimes it is just worth it. 

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

SassyItalian
on 3/26/11 7:19 am, edited 3/26/11 7:20 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
As the person above mentioned, it has higher protein so more bang for your buck.

Some people buy the plain kind and mix in some Sugar Free Jello pudding powder.

If I buy the Chobani with the fruit on the bottom I will only mix in a little of the fruit on the bottom, just for flavor. I dont mix and eat all the fruit cuz its kind of alot of sugar.

Some people also use the plain interchangably with sour cream or mayo- it adds protein and sour flavor. I use it in my chili in place of sour cream and cant tell the difference.

It can be a bit of an acquired taste, and the consistency is thicker than regular yogurt but most of us have come to love it and use it as a staple to reaching our 60+ grams of protein a day.

Hope that helps.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Linda B.
on 3/26/11 7:21 am - CA
LOL taste? For me plain Greek tastes like full on whipped cream with fresh fruit in it. And then can be sour cream w potatoes etc. I will never eat reg yogurt again..all that and the benefit of protein...who could ask for more? lol
Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 6:18 am
I love Chobani yogurt. I puree fresh fruits and add them in for some flavor.

Thank you for the "sour cream w/ potatoes" suggestion (i.e.- adding Chobani instead of sour cream).
loolootoo
on 3/26/11 7:40 am
personally i've been happier with kroger's carbmaster yogert.

islandqueen38
on 3/26/11 8:08 am
I love the greeek yogurt I add  sugar free vanilla syrup  its yummy.  Doris QC.

lillithmaximus
on 3/26/11 8:22 am
Greek yogurt essentially has more of the whey strained out.  You can make your own by dumping out a container of plain yogurt into a strainer lined with cheesecloth and let it set for a few hours.  The consistancy will be much thicker and the flavor much tangier.  I like it with pudding mixed in, or as others have said as a substitute for sour cream.  (Try it mixed with some ranch mix for a yummy dip for veggies).  But when I get a jones for just some good yogurt, I go with the Kroger Carbmasters every time.  You just can't beat 4 carbs per serving!!

NewDawn50
on 3/26/11 9:19 am
I think I like greek yogurt a lot because I adore sour cream, and the taste and consistency is almost identical.  For an occasional mid-morning treat I'll have 4 oz. of the vanilla with a handful of blueberries thrown in.  Yum!

BigCaliSmile
on 3/26/11 9:28 am - La Puente, CA
I cant believe I am saying I miss yorgart haha..i Used to mix the greek one with the ISO protein adding half banana.. Cant wait to have it again.
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views