GOAL! - And How I Got There...

greenemachine
on 3/27/11 1:55 am - GA
105lbs lost in 7 months (130lbs from heaviest-but who's counting?)!  What a journey.  I started in size 20/22 (barely fit) and am now in 2's and 4's.

I've put a lot of thought into this post and it's long, but if it helps one person, then it was worth all you other suckers for reading it:)  Below is what worked for ME.  Don't take it as gospel and please don't judge me on it, but this is what it took for ME to reach goal.

First off, surgery should be a LAST resort.  Be honest with yourself and ask yourself if you've really done all the things you need to do to get your health back.  I've been in plus sized clothes since middle school.  I've never shopped in a regular store.  I played every sport and was extremely active...but still big.  I was the "fit-fat" girl.  My DNA/genetics just suck.  This was it for me.

If surgery is the answer for you, do your research!  Know your surgeon and take the time to pick the one that's best for you.  How the surgery is performed will likely determine what issues you may or may not have (reflux, certain intollerances, etc.).

Personally, I would do a pre-op diet regardless of whether your surgeon says you need to or not.  It will shrink your liver and make the surgery easier for the surgeon as well as a better recovery.  My advice is to eat whatever you want (I think I ate out 3 times a day for two weeks:)) and then go Adkins for 2 weeks.  Cut out all sodas, alcohol, caffeine, and carbs.  I lost 18lbs and I'm sure it's the 18lbs I gained in the two weeks of eating out, but still, it got my body and mindset right before surgery.  I loved losing that weight...I knew I was losing it for the last time.

After surgery-follow your post-op diet exactly.  Cheating can kill you in the first month...seriously.  I see posts on here all the time asking about how much time to take off of work.  I had surgery on a Tuesday and was back to work the following Monday.  My advice to to go back as soon as you can, to keep your mind busy.  After the drugs wear off, the head game begins, so try to do whatever to get back to normal life asap.

I hope this doesn't offend, but I'm going to say it anyway...what's up with these posts that say "I can eat cookies, cakes, ice cream, and soda without a problem?"  SO-just because you can doesn't mean you should!  Good Lord, we are surgically altering our body to try to gain some control and get healthy and you're eating that crap?  This brings me to my next point...that's why I chose this surgery.  I will still be able to enjoy things in moderation, but don't do it while in the WEIGHTLOSS phase!  Save that for maintenance.  I would have hit goal in 6 months, but I started seeing what I could get away with and not gain.  I kick myself a little, but heck, it's not a race.

Exercise.  Yep, suck it up.  This surgery will only take you so far.  I know there are a lot of folks that get to goal and never exercise.  That's awesome for you, but not a chance for me.  I did nothing but follow the plan for the first 50lbs and then it stopped.  I had to start moving.  Again, my genetics suck:).  I started running and couldn't even go for more than 2minutes without dying.  I'm now up to a 10k (6.2 miles) and I also go to Crossfit 3x a week (www.crossfit.com for those that are interested).  Working out (especially weight training) has done wonders for the loose skin and I'm in sizes that I didn't think were ever possible.  Watch out Mandyplus2-there's another GA girl with killer arms and back (love you-you're awesome):).

Another note on working out...try everything.  I let my weight hold me back my whole life.  Even if you don't think you can do it-you CAN.  Just start slow and work your way up.  We all have to start somewhere.  Find time.  I have a 2.5 year old and an 11 month old, a husband, and a full-time job.  You can spare an hour somewhere and make it happen.  How bad do you want it?

One other thing I've said before-find a balance.  I will have a drink with my husband occasionally, and if I don't have a few bliss chocolates a day-I'll shoot myself.  Again, get through the majority of your weightloss before experimenting.  My point though is that this is lifelong...you have to find a balance.  My whole life has been lived in one of two states...deprivation and excess.  I've always been on a diet...failed...and then at a buffet.  This surgery was the answer for me, but you have to find the balance to keep you happy and away from that buffet.  The head hunger/battle never ends.  Don't think surgery will fix that.  We're all addicts.

Dare I bring it up, but low-carb is what go me to goal so quick.  I now eat about anything, but very little.  That's the key.  Like I said, I've been living in maintenance for about a month or so.  I will always have to exercise to stay at this weight, but that's okay...I actually like it now.

Hair loss and loose skin.  It's going to happen.  I've lost a person though, what do you expect?  Do not let that deter you from having surgery.  If you're that concerned about it pre-op, then you're just making excuses.  I did this to get my heath back.  No diabetes, no high-blood pressure, no high cholesterol anymore.  I look fantastic in clothes and I'm healthy as a horse.  Who care's about boobs that look like cow utters and a little loose belly skin.  I'll just tuck it into MY SIZE 2 jeans!!!!   Beat that. 

I chose to tell pretty much no one about having surgery.  Personal preference.  Be ready for the haters if you do. 

I'm so proud of myself and all of you guys that are choosing to do something about it!  If I can help anyone, please PM me and I'll try my best to help.  We're all in this together.  Sorry about writing a book, but thanks for reading it.  Best wishes to you all!!!!

HW Ever=275 Start W=250 SW=232 Height=5' 8.5"       

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 2:06 am
Congratulations! What a great post.  I don't think I could add anything, you really summed it up beautifully.  I agree with every word your wrote, so I will just say ditto.   I hope the newbies read this and learn from it, so much great information tucked into every paragraph.  I hope you have a treat of some kind prepared for you today.  Maybe a special piece of jewelry to commemorate this moment or just a massage and a pedicure to make you feel great.  You deserve it!
MrsClaus09
on 3/27/11 2:10 am

Being another "fit fat" girl (all my life)....THANK YOU so much for sharing all of this.  You have described so much of what I've been thinking and I'm so, so, so happy to hear it's worked for someone!!!

And, more importantly, congrats to you for making goal!!  You've come a long way baby and should be SO incredibly proud!!! 

My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 2:12 am - CA
 Thank you!! As a pre-op I love hearing peoples experiences.
scribeguy
on 3/27/11 2:23 am - NY
 wow
thank you so much

i will go for my VSG on wednesday April 6

my surgeon is strict
a 2 week low-carb/fat diet followed by 3 days of only protein shakes

I've just finished week one of the former

and I did great -- except about 2 hrs of BAD eating last night

this post was exactly what i needed to remember that this really life or death
and I need to stick to the plan stridently!!!!

CJCC55
on 3/27/11 2:28 am - Cleveland, TN
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
You have done great.

Don't worry if everyone doesn't agree with everything you say, because they don't need to. We all walk our own journey, and each one's cir****tances are a little different.
You made your goal and did it in record time. You should be very proud in your size 2 jeans!!!
I am very proud of you.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Sunshine115
on 3/27/11 2:37 am - MI
Thank you so much. It's great to hear from someone who has been through it. We all can learn from this.

PK130
on 3/27/11 2:38 am - Dallas, TX
VSG on 03/01/11 with
Great post! Very inspirational. Congrats on your success!!
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 2:39 am
congrats on everything!  So awesome!
Kristy R.
on 3/27/11 3:07 am - Santa Clara, CA
 LOL, it was like you were in my brain!  I haven't had my surgery yet , but I hope to continue to maintain the mindset I have, which so far has been identical to yours!  Thanks for the post!  It's a keeper!  Surgery is Tuesday and this was a great read for me just before that day! dum, dum dum...
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views