insulin resistance and vsg

healthysoon
on 3/31/11 11:57 am - ID
I was asked by my father how the vsg helped the insuliln resistance and diabetes if it didn't have malabsorption. My A1C is perfect, 4.5 but my insulin levels are in the 2000's. I was told they are supposed to be in the 200's. Big difference. Anyway, I was talking to my dad about the surgery and he is over 400 lbs and 6'2". He has just been diagnosed with diabetes 2. So what I need to know is how does the vsg resolve these issues. I know it does I just don't know how. Kinda looking for the medical end of things. Gonna call and ask surgeon tomorrow but was wondering if anybody on here could explain it. Thanks.
Christine
The faith of a mustard seed will see me through    
Linda B.
on 3/31/11 12:38 pm
Hi Christine,
  I'm no expert, but since I had the surgery I am off my meds for diabetes. My blood sugars are perfect. I think the reason it works is because you can't eat like before. I'm not quite 3 weeks out and I have only hit 600 calories one time. most of the time my caloric intake is between 400 and 500 calories.and last week it was between 300 and 400. I think that is why the surgery works, and if you follow the program without going back to your old eating habits you will do well.I went for post op check up Monday(13 days post op ) and had lost 21 pounds. My blood pressure is so much better too!that med is on its way out too! Hope that helps, and maybe I'm wrong? Good Luck to you.
frenchred
on 3/31/11 12:47 pm
The following article points to some other factors besides the weight loss that has an impact on insulin resistance and diabetes such as reducing the ghrelin and GLP-1 levels.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/matrix/bt_supp0609/#/12

Hope that helps.
NewDawn50
on 3/31/11 1:37 pm
Christine,

My diabetes was pretty out of control.  Before surgery, I was on 30 units of Lantus every morning, 15 units of NovoLog for meal coverage, and Metformin 1,000 mg. morning and night.

Three months out, I am off the Metformin and NovoLog, and am down to 13 units of Lantus in the morning. My morning blood sugar readings range from 90-110 normally.  Even with all my meds, I never had readings so wonderful.  My endocrinologist believes that we will keep titrating it down until I no longer need it - hopefully with the next 20-25 lbs. lost.  I am amazed and feel like a different person.

frenchred
on 3/31/11 10:24 pm
Congrats on your improving control of blood sugars!  By the way, based on our avatars, we may be related
SkyQueen
on 3/31/11 1:51 pm - CO
 I am 5 weeks post=op and already off my Metformin!! Im sure since we are talking about type2 its because of a complete diet change.....I,m just so glad!! 

NewDawn50
on 3/31/11 11:00 pm
French,

Actually, it might be the same kitty - yours is before whacking hubby with a blunt instrument when he makes a remark about how we should be able to handle a sausage pizza he is eating in front of us, and mine is post whack.

syraphym
on 4/2/11 3:11 am
i cant explain how but i know 2 weeks after surgery i was no longer taking metformin and my sugar is still in the "perfect" range. i had been insulin resistant my whole life was taking the max amount of metformin and my dr and i were discussing moving to insulin if i didnt improve.

healthysoon
on 4/2/11 3:52 am - ID
Thanks guys. You are the best.
Christine
The faith of a mustard seed will see me through    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op