First complication

jbskaggs
on 3/31/11 2:35 pm - holt, MO
 I had my first real complication today.

I had 3 oz of clam chowder (Cambell's) and had a serious dumping issue immediately afterwards.  Both with diahrea and a general energy drop and feeling lousy.

This was the kind of problems I was having with protien shakes and broths that I got moved to solid food early.  Any idea what in the soup or broths causes this?  

JB

_Nikki_
on 3/31/11 2:48 pm
Maybe the potatoes ?
_Nikki_ 

jbskaggs
on 3/31/11 2:54 pm - holt, MO
 Maybe except broths don't have potatoes.  Chowder does could it be the fat I wonder?

JB

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 3:01 pm
Maybe the combination of milk in the chowder and fats.  Does the lable list any sugars in the mix?  Was this a white chowder or a red?  Probably the combination of the richness of the soup and the fat.
jbskaggs
on 3/31/11 3:11 pm - holt, MO
 Yeah it was white chowder.  I have been afraid  to try the broths after my surgery becuase of how bad they affected me before the surgery.  Maybe it's a complication of not having a gall bladder? And not the sleeve?

I think I'll try and avoid fatty soups for a while.

JB

MrsClaus09
on 3/31/11 5:41 pm
Maybe too much and too fast and that caused dumping like symptoms?  Wondering also if you pureed the chowder as I know it's much too early for me to have chunks.
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 6:22 pm - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Some folks do have issues with being lactose intolerant at first, my friend. 
kimberly_gr
on 3/31/11 9:05 pm
I get dumping too. It seems to happen with high fat items and/or sugary things. It could be a lactose intolerance; I've read that a lot of people develop this after surgery.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

extremesanity
on 3/31/11 10:31 pm - DETROIT, MI
Sorry to hear that, There is no dumping with VSG. My doc says that dumping is not possible because we still have out pyloris, so nothing can dump into the intestines like with GBP (or something like that). Maybe it was the soup is something that you just cant tolerate right now.
HW 462..........SW 427..........CW 402..........GW 170

walmartian
on 4/1/11 12:34 am, edited 4/1/11 12:34 am
I think it's probably the milk. I switched to almond and soy milk for my shakes, and will also cook with it from now on. Even before the surgery I had noticed that  (at age 45 or so!) I had developed some degree of lactose intolerance so  too much milk product gives me awful cramps and all that goes with them. Instead of trying to figure out how much is too much, I'm just trying to avoid milk based foods, at least  in any quantily over maybe 2-3 ounce or so total for a day, and not every day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 271 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views