Anyone off depression meds???

smbergie200
on 3/31/11 2:39 pm - Naples, FL
I've taken meds for close to 20 years for bipolar and depression. Anyone find that WLS has reduced or eliminated the need for these types of phychiatric meds? Don't worry not planning on discontinuing my meds without doctor supervision. It has just been a dream of mine to not need them anymore and feel what it is to be normal without the side effects.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

FreeJulie
on 3/31/11 2:43 pm - WA
I stopped taking antidepressants last summer (before WLS) but I have to say, I feel soooooo good now I wouldn't even contemplate taking antidepressants now!

Before, I stopped taking them because I was trying to figure out what were my real emotions versus effects of the meds. So I didn't stop taking them because I felt so great, in other words.

Looking back just 6-8 months ago...I'm not the same person. It's phenomenal.
Julie, 5' 3", age 42. Starting weight: 263, Surgery weight: 255
Blogging at www.freejulie.blogspot.com        
Rudy R.
on 3/31/11 2:55 pm - TX
Did you all have to take them in a different form?

jbskaggs
on 3/31/11 2:57 pm - holt, MO
 Exercise and diet will definitely help you achieve your goals- but it all depends on how severe your symptoms are.

Sugar balance plays a major part in depression and mania phases.

JB
diane S.
on 3/31/11 3:23 pm
yes i was able to go off my antidepressant though its because i started another milder antianxiety drug. that seems to be all i need now and its mainly to be able to sleep.

at our support group recently my surgeon said about 60% of his patients were on antidepressants but that a pretty good portion of them were eventually able to get off them. so it does happen, but you are smart to not make any moves without doc supervision. I did that once years ago. unpleasant results. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Valerie K.
on 3/31/11 4:09 pm - Dearborn, MI
sorry to  say no I was just on depression pills but quit after surgery. But my son who is bipolar will never come off his meds. I was told he will need them for life. Please do not take your self off of them.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

smbergie200
on 3/31/11 4:24 pm - Naples, FL
On March 31, 2011 at 11:09 PM Pacific Time, dratdhNme wrote:
sorry to  say no I was just on depression pills but quit after surgery. But my son who is bipolar will never come off his meds. I was told he will need them for life. Please do not take your self off of them.
I won't take myself off them. I was just curious.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Valerie K.
on 3/31/11 4:33 pm - Dearborn, MI
ok depression medication is different than medication for bipolar. Like I said my son is bipolar and when he thinks he is ok he stoped his medication and than found out he really needed it.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Jenn H.
on 3/31/11 4:39 pm - Portland, OR

I've been diagnosed with a mild mania bordering bipolar, whatever that means, but as I got older it just became plain old depression (though that's probably because I changed the environment where I was manic. Ran far, far from home, haha. And it gets triggered when I go home again so it is probably always there deep down.)

Anyway, I'm on an anti depressant. I was taking 300mg of Welbutrin XL once a day and so far since surgery I've switched to 150mg Welbutrin SR twice a day since the stomach is smaller so a slow release makes more sense twice a day than an extended release once.  

I don't think I will come off of them because while weight is one of the reasons I am on them, there are many, many other reasons why I was depressed.  The process of losing weight so fast is such an emotional roller coaster as is so therapy and/or medication after WLS seems like a smart idea to me until you get to that magical maintenance stage and can re-evaluate from there.  The only reason I could think of coming off of my anti-depressants is if I end up getting fit enough to be very active and exercise regularly, that way I'll be on nature's anti-depressant: Endorphins!  

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

91Annie15
on 3/31/11 4:40 pm - CA
 I appreciate you asking this question.  I too hope to not have to take antidepressants.  It would be nice even to just reduce the dosage.  
-AA   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views