"goals"

Danielle K.
on 4/4/11 12:31 pm - Evart, MI
So I'm wondering how important is it to have goals?  I have made weight loss goals in the past.  Kept some, failed some.  I don't really want to give myself preconcieved ideas about my sleeve but I also don't want to set myself up for failure by not actively working towards anything.  But I'm 3 weeks post op today and realizing I haven't set any goals.  Except an end goal weight.  I'm very happy today because my "stall" ended.  I lost almost 20lbs the first 10 days post op but then nothing til today.  So I'm ecstatic, on that point.  And I have a lot of set points in my mind.  Like after losing another 3lbs I'll be lighter than I have been in 5 years.  I was 247 after I had my son 17.5 months ago, but quickly gained back almost 50lbs.  Another of my set points was my hips measurement went below 60 inches this past week.  I was mortified when last June I measured myself and I was as big around as I was tall (63in) and to find out I was actually bigger around because I am actually 62.5 in tall.  Plus standard measuring tapes are 60inches and I always had to fold it over to get my actual inches.  I didn't have to do that this week.

Anyway what is everyone's thoughts on setting goals for yourself?
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

Elaine2
on 4/4/11 12:41 pm - Atlanta, GA
Of course, I have a LT goal but that is still so far away and daunting when I look at it.
I'm a believer in small goals which will maximize successes. So I use the 10's which for me mean breaking into the 280s, into the 270s, etc.

The reward for me---a new pair of inexpensive earrings every time I crack into the next goal. I need some new summer earrings!!!!  See if I were you I would have purchased 2 pair in 10 days!   Good Job!

Danielle K.
on 4/4/11 12:55 pm - Evart, MI
 lol that's a great plan.  Unfortunately I can't wear anything but gold earrings, some solid sterling silver but anything less than that makes my ears swell up and then have to have the earrings surgically cut out! ouchie!  But I could adapt this for myself in a way, just have to think about it a bit.

Thanks for the idea!
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

Elaine2
on 4/4/11 1:11 pm - Atlanta, GA
Nail polish, necklace, bracelet....and I just thought of something I wish I would have started.....
A SUCCESSES playlist on my ipod with a new song for every set of 10 expressing my thoughts for that period of time.
thisbe777
on 4/4/11 1:15 pm
my next goal is onederland - only 22.4 lbs to go!   haven't seen that since about 1982.....  my official goal weight is 160, which will put me in the 'normal' BMI category (though i think BMI as a measurement of healthy is bogus)..   but my heart-of-hearts goal is 154....  that would mean a 200 lb total weight loss....  just wanna see if i can do it....

i get myself little gifties and treats now and then just as a reward for sticking to things...  haven't had many of those over the last several months because i was screwing up and not losing....  not gaining, but not losing....  my recent surgery gave me a reset and put me back into ketosis - kind of a jump start that i really needed....  i have my motivation back watching the scale go down now....

i will play as many games with my head as i need to if it gets me to my goal.....

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

jbskaggs
on 4/4/11 2:45 pm - holt, MO
 Serious of smaller milestones makes completing the trip not only easier but increases the chances of success.

To reward myself I like to bask in my milestones and snuggle with my wife and thank my God.

JB

sharold7
on 4/4/11 7:31 pm
like!
KrisJ77
on 4/5/11 1:21 am - TX

Yes!!  Set goals....I met my first goal Sunday - 199!! YAY!!  My second goal is to way less than my husband...he is 187.  I think from there my next goal will be 150.  My goal weight is 120 due to me only being 5 feet tall - I sure hope I see that number.  Yay to us!! - Kris

ccbelle14
on 4/5/11 1:57 am - Minneapolis, MN
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't like to set goals that are weight loss specific. Sure, I have my overall goal to be 180, and I'd LOVE to have that happen by my birthday, 11/14, which is 11 months out to the day from my surgery. If it happens, great. If not, oh well.

I feel like so much of the weight loss with the sleeve is out of my hands - especially stalls. The goals I do set for myself are instead things like "I will work out 5 times this week" or "I will plan all my foods and follow them religiously for 1 week" sort of things - which are DEFINITELY things I have control over. I haven't really rewarded myself yet but I suppose I should start thinking up ways I can :)

I do celebrate when I've lost enought weight where it's a milestone - but I don't have it as a goal to lose 10 lbs in the next month. I hope that makes sense!

Highest Weight (2008): 360  Surgery Consult Weight: 340  Day of Surgery: 318
Height: 5'10"
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views