Tabouli?

Jenijeni
on 4/4/11 1:59 pm
I love, love love Tabouli... Does anyone eat it? Was going to make some, but wondered about the carbs. It has protein and lots of fiber... Just wondering if anyone eats this!

For those who don't know, Tabouli or Tabouleh is a middle eastern salad made with Bulgar wheat, Parsley, Cilantro, Green Onion, Tomato and spices with Lemon juice and Olive Oil "dressing". Pretty damn good!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

HappyMe15
on 4/4/11 2:02 pm
 I love tabouli also!! is so damm good and refreshing.. unfortunately i dont know what to say to you about the carbs, but now that you have mentioned it, im curious..!
jbskaggs
on 4/4/11 2:06 pm - holt, MO
 Excluding the wheat- my wife makes that for herself weekly- but by coincidence!  Im gonna have her look it up and see if she like the original.

loolootoo
on 4/4/11 2:07 pm, edited 4/4/11 2:08 pm
this thought is coming from someone who had never heard of tabouli.....

quinoa is a great higher protein substitute in some recipes that call for rice or pasta......would it work as a substitute for the wheat in your salad ? it's simply little round balls.

tabouli sounds wonderful.

brownblonde
on 4/4/11 2:12 pm
 I just made tabbouli recently.  Love it.  I am 10 months out...the thing I'd advise someone earlier out against would simply be filling up your sleeve with non protein-dense foods.  Other than that I say go for it.  Spice up your menu!

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 2:24 pm - Castle Rock, CO
I LOVE anything Mediterranean (in addition to my own indian dishes ofcourse, hehe).. I follow that diet too (hummus, baba ganouj, cucumber-yogurt salads, falafel, fetouch, zatar.. all good stuff and good for you!) you could just avoid the wheatgrain ingredient & put some cucumbers instead for added substance & reduced carbs. I hv cucumbers in place of every carb these days (to dip the hummus, etc).

I'm experimenting w/making different flavored hummus.. I always made/make my own at home to control my ingredients / garlic & chili-spice level as well..(I like extra spicy).. It's more fun too!
MomtoAndy
on 4/4/11 6:53 pm - Columbia, SC
I just googled "Tabouli nutrition", and on Livestrong it says 1/2 cup has 223 calories, 40 carbs and 7 grams of protein. 

It sure is yummy stuff, but that doesn't fit into my surgeon's plan.  Enjoy!

zzroged
on 4/4/11 6:55 pm - United Arab Emirates
I eat it all the time (but then I live in the Middle East), best made fresh and enjoyed that day. The middle eastern version has hardly any wheat added so it's lovely and light, not so sure about other variations.

Enjoy
Debbie
 New Group : UAE_Dubai_Forum for people living in the UAE/Middle East

TT  & Breast Lift Apr 2011 - Inner Thigh Lift & Arm Lift - Jun 2011
      First - 10k Jan 2011 : First - 1/2 Marathon Feb 2011

byebyeburden
on 4/4/11 11:50 pm
I think it is probably fine.  Eat a piece of chicken first and have it as a side.  It is a wonderful 'whole grain' with lots of fiber and protein to eat.
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

Jenijeni
on 4/5/11 6:11 am
Thanks everyone! I just made a batch and had some with my tuna for lunch!! Yum... I was craving the stuff! Only had about 1/4 cup... But it was delicious!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views