Maximizing weightloss versus maximizing healing

jbskaggs
on 4/5/11 2:49 am - holt, MO
 I am deaing with incisions that were repoened a week ago and i keep losing the scabs every night when I go to bed and the incisions return to what they were the previous day.

I wonder if with a wound like this if diet should be changed to maximize healing even if it stalls weight loss.

I am still going to my doc this afternoon- so I am looking more for general opinions than really specifics to my situation.

JB

HollyLaLa
on 4/5/11 3:06 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/11 with
 A positive nitrogen balance is neccessry for wound healing; that comes from protien!  Keep getting your protein in.  Perhaps you should cover your wounds with a dry sterile dressing to allow the scabs to stay on.  Are you wounds weeping or having a discharge?  Red? (other than localized pink) Warm? Foul smelling?  Glad that you are going to see your doc.  Do you wear cpap or bipap at night that may also help increase the oxygenation to your tissue.  Good luck 

Nothing worth having comes easy.  Success comes with hard work and determination and sacrifice!   

ROCK ON!             
jbskaggs
on 4/5/11 3:18 am - holt, MO
 I dont own a cpap or bipap.  I had read on my discharge papers that intake of drinks like fruit juices and gatorades also boost healing but that the carbs and extra calories also slow down the weight loss.  But it said to only do that for the first few days after surgery.

No there is no discharge, no blood, no foul smell, no redness, and wounds are not warm.  What is happening is the tension of my stomach is reopeing the wounds due to weight when I sleep (rolling about etc) and the incision reopen and the scab falls off.

JB

Smardeepants
on 4/5/11 3:09 am
I'm a pre-op, so my thoughts are just opinions (HA!) from an RN perspective. (My hubs and I are both RN's).

Things that can slow/impair healing are: inadequate protein, smoking, diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, etc.  Are you getting enough protein?

If it were ME, PERSONALLY I would follow the advice of my physician first and foremost. Because wounds can become very serious (and really lead to MANY complications) I would absolutely prioritize wound healing over weight loss. (I'm not saying this b/c it's the "right" thing to do per se... just that my priority would be healing).

I do think, though, that the main dietary need would be protein and really good vitamins, neither of which I think should really slow your weight loss.

Just my 2 puny pre-op cents, LOL
jbskaggs
on 4/5/11 3:22 am - holt, MO
I see your point.

foodlover
on 4/5/11 3:27 am
I am sleeping in my recliner for now because it does pull or irritate my incisions. May try that for a few days and see if that doesn't help...
Jenn H.
on 4/5/11 7:51 am - Portland, OR
 I am also in a recliner until healed.

OP: Perhaps pile pillows up on either side of you in bed to prevent rolling around?

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

sublimate
on 4/5/11 3:33 am - San Jose, CA
Add vitamin C to your regimen in large doses.. 2-5 grams a day.. this will help your wound healing.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Phyllis C.
on 4/5/11 4:17 am, edited 4/5/11 4:23 am
Good health should always take precedence over weight loss.  If you are eating healthy, as you should after surgery, I wouldn't worry so much about loss.  You are going to lose weight anyway and eating healthy high protein, high vitamin should not hamper that in any way.

Stay away from sugar and empty calories.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

jbskaggs
on 4/5/11 6:04 am, edited 4/5/11 6:04 am - holt, MO
 Doctor said that the wounds seemed to be doing okay considering they tore open.

She also suggested added a sublingual b12 , vitamin c and more electrolytes for a while.  

JB

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views